FIRE PREVENTION CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 207 of 1941
29.29 Installation or modification of required fire alarm system or fire suppression system; plans and specifications; approval; documentation; fee; form; testing, servicing, inspection, or maintenance of system; drawing; certification of firm.
(1) Except as provided in subsection (7), a firm shall not install or modify a fire alarm system or fire suppression system, before the firm submits detailed plans and specifications of the system to the bureau for approval.
(2) A firm that installs or modifies a fire suppression system shall submit written documentation of the installation or modification of the system and a fee of $40.00 to the bureau.
(3) A firm that documents the installation or modification of a fire alarm system shall submit written documentation of installation or modification of the system and a fee of $40.00 to the bureau.
(4) The documentation required by this section shall be on a form provided by the bureau and shall state both of the following:
(a) That the system has been installed or modified pursuant to the specifications of the manufacturer for each of the components of the fire alarm system or fire suppression system and in compliance with all applicable state law.
(b) That the system has been tested and placed in proper operating condition under the supervision of an architect or professional engineer licensed under article 20 of the occupational code, 1980 PA 299, MCL 339.2001 to 339.2014, or by an employee of a firm certified under section 26.
(5) Fire alarm system or fire suppression system testing, servicing, inspection, or maintenance that is not exempt under rules promulgated by the bureau shall be performed by a firm certified under section 26. The testing, servicing, inspection, or maintenance of the fire alarm system or fire suppression system shall be noted and displayed at the location of the main control or other location acceptable to the bureau and filed with the owner, operator, or a designated representative of the owner or operator of the building in which the fire alarm system or fire suppression system is installed.
(6) A drawing that depicts the completed installation of the fire alarm system or fire suppression system shall be available to the bureau or the fire safety inspector of the city, village, or township in which the building is located for use during an inspection of a fire alarm system or fire suppression system.
(7) A firm that installs, modifies, tests, services, inspects, or maintains a fire suppression system or a fire alarm system on its own premises shall be certified under section 26, but shall only be required to provide detailed plans and specifications or documentation of the system if requested by the state fire marshal under rules promulgated by the bureau.
History: Add. 1982, Act 144, Eff. Oct. 28, 1982
Am. 2006, Act 189, Imd. Eff. June 19, 2006
Compiler's Notes: For transfer of powers and duties of the fire marshal division programs relating to fire alarm and fire suppression system installation, documentation and certification, from the department of state police to the department of consumer and industry services, see E.R.O. No. 1997-2, compiled at MCL 29.451 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.For transfer of certain authority, powers, functions, and responsibilities of the state fire marshal and the fire marshal division of the department of state police to the director of the department of labor and economic growth, bureau of construction codes and fire safety, by type II transfer, see E.R.O. No. 2003-1, compiled at MCL 445.2011.
Admin Rule: R 29.2801 et seq. of the Michigan Administrative Code.