THE REVISED SCHOOL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 451 of 1976
380.901 Annexation of school district; resolution; approval; ballot vote; election; filing certified statement of vote; funds, property, and outstanding indebtedness; liability; effective date of annexation; annexation by concurrent proceedings; annexation by separate proceedings.
(1) A school district shall be annexed to another school district if the board of the annexing school district adopts a resolution approving the annexation and a majority of the school electors of the district to be annexed approve the annexation. The resolution may specify an effective date for the annexation. The vote on the question shall be by ballot. Before the election is held, the board of the annexing school district shall obtain the approval of the state board of the proposed annexation. The election shall be held within 120 days after passage of the resolution by the board of the annexing school district.
(2) Within 10 days after the election the secretary of the board of the school district in which the election was held shall file a certified statement of the vote for annexation with the secretary of the board of the annexing school district.
(3) Within 15 days after the effective date of the annexation, the officers of the board of the annexed school district shall account to the board of the annexing school district for funds and property of the district. Property and money belonging to the annexed school district shall be the property of the annexing school district. Outstanding indebtedness of the annexed school district shall become the liability of the annexing school district. Upon receipt of the funds and property by the board of the annexing school district, the officers of the annexed school district shall be released from liability for the funds and property and their offices terminated.
(4) The annexation is effective on the date of the annexation election or the date specified in the board resolution as the effective date of the annexation, whichever is later, except that if an election is required in the annexing school district under section 904, the annexation is effective on the date of the official canvass in the annexing school district or the date specified in the board resolution as the effective date of the annexation, whichever is later.
(5) Except as provided in this section, the annexation of 2 or more school districts may be by concurrent proceedings. Elections in the annexed school districts may be held on the same or different days.
(6) If the annexing school district and 1 or more of the school districts to be annexed have bonded indebtedness that is to be mutually assumed at the time of annexation under section 907, the annexation of each district having bonded debt shall be by separate proceedings that shall not be concurrent with the proceedings for annexation of another school district.
(7) If a school district to be annexed has bonded debt that is to be assumed by an annexing school district, annexation of the district shall be by separate proceedings that shall not be concurrent with proceedings by which another school district is annexed.
History: 1976, Act 451, Imd. Eff. Jan. 13, 1977
Am. 1992, Act 140, Imd. Eff. July 15, 1992
Popular Name: Act 451
© 2020 Legislative Council, State of Michigan