Jump to the first occurrence of "mackinac straits"
MACKINAC BRIDGE AUTHORITY (EXCERPT)
Act 214 of 1952
254.324b Mackinac Straits corridor authority; duties; corridor authority board; members; terms; powers.
(1) The Mackinac Straits
corridor authority is created within the state transportation department. The Mackinac Straits
corridor authority is a state institution within the meaning of section 9 of article II of the state constitution of 1963, and an instrumentality of this state exercising public and essential governmental functions. The creation of the Mackinac Straits
corridor authority and the carrying out of the Mackinac Straits
corridor authority's authorized purposes are public and essential governmental purposes for the benefit of the people of this state and for the improvement of the health, safety, welfare, comfort, and security of the people of this state, and these purposes are public purposes. The Mackinac Straits
corridor authority will be performing an essential governmental function in the exercise of the powers conferred upon it by this act.
(2) The Mackinac Straits
corridor authority shall exercise its duties through the corridor authority board. The corridor authority board shall consist of 3 members appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the senate. No more than 2 of the corridor authority board members shall be members of the same political party. Members of the corridor authority board shall serve for terms of 6 years or until a successor is appointed and qualified, whichever is later.
(3) If a vacancy occurs on the corridor authority board, the governor, with the advice and consent of the senate, shall make an appointment for the unexpired term in the same manner as the original appointment.
(4) At the first meeting of the corridor authority board, the corridor authority board shall elect from among its members a chairperson. After the first meeting, the corridor authority board shall meet at the call of the chairperson or if requested by a majority of the members.
(5) A majority of the members of the corridor authority board constitute a quorum for the transaction of business at a meeting of the board. A majority of the members present and serving are required for official action of the corridor authority board.
(6) Members of the corridor authority board shall serve without compensation. However, members of the corridor authority board shall be reimbursed for their actual and necessary expenses incurred in the performance of their official duties as members of the corridor authority board, unless they decline to accept reimbursement.
(7) The members of the corridor authority board and any agent of the Mackinac Straits
corridor authority are subject to 1968 PA 317, MCL 15.321 to 15.330, and 1968 PA 318, MCL 15.301 to 15.310.
(8) An individual who is a member of the Mackinac bridge authority board shall not serve as a member of the corridor authority board during his or her term as a member of the Mackinac bridge authority board.
(9) The business that the corridor authority board may perform shall be conducted at a public meeting of the corridor authority board held in compliance with the open meetings act, 1976 PA 267, MCL 15.261 to 15.275.
(10) A writing prepared, owned, used, in the possession of, or retained by the corridor authority board in the performance of an official function is subject to the freedom of information act, 1976 PA 442, MCL 15.231 to 15.246.
(11) The Mackinac Straits
corridor authority does not possess any powers not explicitly granted to it under this act, including, but not limited to, the power of eminent domain.
History: Add. 2018, Act 359, Imd. Eff. Dec. 12, 2018