Act No. 127
Public Acts of 2012
Approved by the Governor
May 8, 2012
Filed with the Secretary of State
May 8, 2012
EFFECTIVE DATE: May 8, 2012
STATE OF MICHIGAN
REGULAR SESSION OF 2012
Introduced by Reps. Lyons, Wayne Schmidt, Rogers, Walsh, Liss and Haveman
ENROLLED HOUSE BILL No. 5057
AN ACT to amend 1978 PA 368, entitled “An act to protect and promote the public health; to codify, revise, consolidate, classify, and add to the laws relating to public health; to provide for the prevention and control of diseases and disabilities; to provide for the classification, administration, regulation, financing, and maintenance of personal, environmental, and other health services and activities; to create or continue, and prescribe the powers and duties of, departments, boards, commissions, councils, committees, task forces, and other agencies; to prescribe the powers and duties of governmental entities and officials; to regulate occupations, facilities, and agencies affecting the public health; to regulate health maintenance organizations and certain third party administrators and insurers; to provide for the imposition of a regulatory fee; to provide for the levy of taxes against certain health facilities or agencies; to promote the efficient and economical delivery of health care services, to provide for the appropriate utilization of health care facilities and services, and to provide for the closure of hospitals or consolidation of hospitals or services; to provide for the collection and use of data and information; to provide for the transfer of property; to provide certain immunity from liability; to regulate and prohibit the sale and offering for sale of drug paraphernalia under certain circumstances; to provide for the implementation of federal law; to provide for penalties and remedies; to provide for sanctions for violations of this act and local ordinances; to provide for an appropriation and supplements; to repeal certain acts and parts of acts; to repeal certain parts of this act; and to repeal certain parts of this act on specific dates,” by amending section 2882a (MCL 333.2882a), as added by 2011 PA 28.
The People of the State of Michigan enact:
Sec. 2882a. (1) In addition to the birth record copies and certificates issued under section 2882 and subject to the limitations of section 2882(1)(a) and (b), the state registrar shall issue, upon request and payment of the fee prescribed in subsection (2), an heirloom birth certificate representing the birth of the individual named on the original birth record or certificate. The state registrar may establish procedures for the administration of an heirloom birth certificate. The state registrar shall establish procedures to allow the purchase of a gift card or certificate that can be redeemed by a person eligible to purchase an heirloom birth certificate under this section.
(2) The fee for each heirloom certificate of birth is $40.00. The state registrar shall transmit $20.00 of each fee collected under this section to the state treasurer for deposit as a gift or donation into the children’s trust fund created in 1982 PA 249, MCL 21.171 to 21.172.
(3) The department shall design each heirloom birth certificate available for issue under subsection (1) consistent with the form and content prescribed under section 2811 and so that it is suitable for display. An heirloom birth certificate may bear the seal of the state and may be signed by the governor.
(4) The department shall market and promote heirloom birth certificates available under this section.
(5) An heirloom birth certificate issued under this section is not an official record of birth and is not the active birth certificate of the individual whose name appears on the document.
(6) This section may be referred to as the “Pam Posthumus law”.
This act is ordered to take immediate effect.
Clerk of the House of Representatives
Secretary of the Senate