HB-5792, As Passed House, May 8, 2008

















February 21, 2008, Introduced by Reps. Bieda, Meisner, Melton, Spade, Miller, Condino and Hopgood and referred to the Committee on Ethics and Elections.


     A bill to amend 1954 PA 116, entitled


"Michigan election law,"


(MCL 168.1 to 168.992) by adding section 496a.




     Sec. 496a. (1) A person may preregister to vote at a secretary


of state office if he or she meets all of the following




     (a) Is at least 16 years of age but less than 17-1/2 years of




     (b) Has been issued either a graduated licensing status to


operate a motor vehicle under section 310e of the Michigan vehicle


code, 1949 PA 300, MCL 257.310e, or an official state personal


identification card under 1972 PA 222, MCL 28.291 to 28.300.


     (c) Is a citizen of the United States.


     (d) Has been a resident of this state for not less than 30




     (2) A person shall preregister to vote on a form prescribed by


the secretary of state.


     (3) A person who preregisters to vote under subsection (1)


shall become a registered elector at 17-1/2 years of age and become


eligible to vote on his or her eighteenth birthday.


     (4) The secretary of state shall add the required voter


registration information as provided in section 509q to the


qualified voter file for each person who is automatically


registered to vote under subsection (3). When a preregistered


elector becomes 17-1/2 years of age, the secretary of state shall


transmit the voter registration information to the clerk of the


city, township, or village where the preregistered elector resides.


     (5) Upon receipt of the voter registration information under


subsection (4), the city or township clerk shall send the


preregistered elector a voter identification card.


     (6) If a voter identification card sent under subsection (5)


is returned to the city or township clerk as undeliverable, the


city or township clerk shall reject the voter registration for that


elector and proceed under section 499.