THE STATE SCHOOL AID ACT OF 1979 (EXCERPT)
Act 94 of 1979
388.1851 State competitive scholarship program.
(1) Payments of the amounts included in section 236 for the state competitive scholarship program shall be distributed pursuant to 1964 PA 208, MCL 390.971 to 390.981.
(2) Pursuant to section 6 of 1964 PA 208, MCL 390.976, the department of treasury shall determine an actual state competitive scholarship award per student, which shall be $1,000.00, that ensures that the aggregate payments for the state competitive scholarship program do not exceed the appropriation contained in section 236 for the state competitive scholarship program. If the department determines that insufficient funds are available to establish an award amount equal to $1,000.00, the department shall immediately report to the house and senate appropriations subcommittees on higher education, the house and senate fiscal agencies, and the state budget director regarding the estimated amount of additional funds necessary to establish a $1,000.00 award amount.
(3) The department of treasury shall implement a proportional competitive scholarship award level for recipients enrolled less than full-time in a given semester or term.
(4) If a student who receives an award under this section has his or her tuition and fees paid under the Michigan educational trust program, pursuant to the Michigan education trust act, 1986 PA 316, MCL 390.1421 to 390.1442, and still has financial need, the funds awarded under this section may be used for educational expenses other than tuition and fees.
(5) If the department of treasury increases the award per eligible student from that provided in the previous fiscal year, it shall not have the effect of reducing the number of eligible students receiving awards in relation to the total number of eligible applicants. Any increase in the grant shall be proportional for all eligible students receiving awards.
(6) Veterans Administration benefits shall not be considered in determining eligibility for the award of scholarships under 1964 PA 208, MCL 390.971 to 390.981.
History: Add. 2011, Act 62, Eff. Oct. 1, 2011
Am. 2012, Act 201, Eff. Oct. 1, 2012
Am. 2016, Act 249, Eff. Oct. 1, 2016
Am. 2017, Act 108, Eff. Oct. 1, 2017
Am. 2018, Act 265, Eff. Oct. 1, 2018
Am. 2019, Act 62, Eff. Oct. 1, 2019
Am. 2019, Act 162, Imd. Eff. Dec. 20, 2019
© 2020 Legislative Council, State of Michigan