MICHIGAN LIQUOR CONTROL CODE OF 1998 (EXCERPT)
Act 58 of 1998
436.1901 Compliance required; prohibited acts; violation; sanctions and penalties.
(1) A person, directly or indirectly, himself or herself or by his or her clerk, agent, or employee, shall not manufacture, manufacture for sale, sell, offer or keep for sale, barter, furnish, import, import for sale, transport for hire, transport, or possess any alcoholic liquor unless the person complies with this act.
(2) A licensee shall not allow unlawful gambling on the licensed premises and shall not allow on the licensed premises any gaming devices prohibited by law.
(3) A licensee shall not sell, offer or keep for sale, furnish, possess, or allow a customer to consume alcoholic liquor that is not authorized by the license issued to the licensee by the commission.
(4) A person, whether or not a licensee, shall not sell, deliver, or import spirits unless the sale, delivery, or importation is made by the commission, the commission's authorized agent or distributor, an authorized distribution agent certified by order of the commission, a person licensed by the commission, or by prior written order of the commission. A person who violates this subsection is subject to the sanctions and penalties contained in section 909(4) and, in the case of a violation of section 909(4)(a), is subject to forfeiture of proceeds or an instrumentality as provided for in chapter XXVA of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.159f to 750.159x.
(5) A licensee shall not sell or furnish alcoholic liquor to a person who maintains, operates, or leases premises that are not licensed by the commission and upon which other persons unlawfully engage in the sale or consumption of alcoholic liquor for consideration as prohibited by section 913.
(6) A retail licensee shall not, on his or her licensed premises, sell, offer for sale, accept, furnish, possess, or allow the consumption of alcoholic liquor that has not been purchased by the retail licensee from the commission, the commission's authorized agent or distributor, an authorized distribution agent certified by order of the commission, or a licensee of the commission authorized to sell that alcoholic liquor to a retail licensee. This subsection does not apply to the consumption of alcoholic liquor in the bedrooms or suites of registered guests of licensed hotels or in the bedrooms or suites of bona fide members of licensed clubs.
History: 1998, Act 58, Imd. Eff. Apr. 14, 1998
Am. 2008, Act 11, Imd. Eff. Feb. 29, 2008
Am. 2010, Act 175, Imd. Eff. Sept. 30, 2010
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan