Jump to the first occurrence of "travel"
MICHIGAN TOURISM POLICY ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 106 of 1945
2.102 Michigan travel commission; creation; appointment, qualifications, and terms of members; vacancies; compensation and expenses; travel bureau director; chair and vice-chair; meetings; removal from office; quorum; voting; public meeting; documents subject to freedom of information act.
(1) The Michigan travel commission is created within the department of commerce.
(2) The commission shall consist of 13 members appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the senate. The governor shall select members who are experienced in the travel, tourism, and recreation industry or an associated field. Members of the commission shall be representative of all geographic areas of the state. Not less than 7 members of the commission shall be owners and operators of for-profit businesses from the private sector of the travel, tourism, and recreation industry and shall be experienced in the travel, tourism, and recreation industry. Of the 7 members appointed from the private sector not less than 4 members shall be owners and operators of small businesses. As used in this section, “small businesses” means business concerns incorporated or doing business in this state which employ not more than 100 full-time or part-time employees.
(3) A member of the commission shall be appointed for a term of 4 years. No member may serve more than 2 full 4-year terms. A vacancy on the commission shall be filled in the same manner as the original appointment.
(4) The members of the commission shall serve without compensation. However, members of the commission may be reimbursed for their expenses incurred in the performance of their official duties not to exceed 25 days in a fiscal year pursuant to the standard travel regulations of the department of management and budget.
(5) The commission shall recommend by name the appointment of the travel bureau director to the director of the department of commerce, and elect from its membership annually a chair and vice-chair. The commission shall meet at least quarterly, or more frequently if requested by 8 or more members, or at the call of the chair.
(6) A member of the commission may be removed from office by the governor in accordance with section 10 of article V of the state constitution of 1963.
(7) A majority of the commission constitutes a quorum for the transaction of business at a meeting of the commission. A majority vote of the members present and serving is required for official action of the Michigan travel commission.
(8) The business of the Michigan travel commission shall be conducted at a public meeting of that commission, held in compliance with the open meetings act, Act No. 267 of the Public Acts of 1976, being sections 15.261 to 15.275 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
(9) A document prepared, owned, used, in the possession of, or retained by the Michigan travel commission in the performance of an official function is subject to the freedom of information act, Act No. 442 of the Public Acts of 1976, being sections 15.231 to 15.246 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
History: 1945, Act 106, Imd. Eff. Apr. 19, 1945
CL 1948, 2.102
Am. 1956, Act 94, Eff. Aug. 11, 1956
Am. 1960, Act 5, Imd. Eff. Mar. 17, 1960
Am. 1961, Act 32, Imd. Eff. May 18, 1961
Am. 1962, Act 52, Eff. Mar. 28, 1963
Am. 1975, Act 145, Imd. Eff. July 9, 1975
Am. 1986, Act 233, Imd. Eff. Oct. 6, 1986
Am. 1993, Act 109, Imd. Eff. July 16, 1993
Compiler's Notes: For transfer of the Michigan travel commission from the department of commerce to the Michigan jobs commission, see E.R.O. No. 1994-10, compiled at MCL 408.48 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
© 2015 Legislative Council, State of Michigan