MICHIGAN COMMISSION ON LAW ENFORCEMENT STANDARDS ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 203 of 1965
28.610 Investigation of alleged violations.
(1) The commission may investigate alleged violations of this act or rules promulgated under this act.
(2) In conducting an investigation, the commission may hold hearings, administer oaths, issue subpoenas, and order testimony to be taken at a hearing or by deposition. A hearing held under this section shall be conducted in accordance with chapter 4 of the administrative procedures act of 1969, 1969 PA 306, MCL 24.271 to 24.287. A final decision or order issued by the commission is subject to judicial review as provided in chapter 6 of the administrative procedures act of 1969, 1969 PA 306, MCL 24.301 to 24.306. A petition for judicial review of a final decision or order of the commission shall be adjudicated only in the court of claims.
(3) The commission may issue a subpoena to do either of the following:
(a) Compel the attendance of a witness to testify at a hearing or deposition and give testimony.
(b) Produce books, papers, documents, or other items.
(4) If a subpoena issued by the commission is not obeyed, the commission may petition the court of claims to require the attendance of a witness or the production of books, papers, documents, or other items. The court of claims may issue an order requiring an individual to appear and give testimony or produce books, papers, documents, or other items. Failure to obey an order of the court of claims may be punished by the court as a contempt of court.
(5) The commission has standing to commence an action in the court of claims to compel compliance with this act or 1982 PA 302, MCL 18.421 to 18.429, or an administrative rule promulgated under this act or 1982 PA 302, MCL 18.421 to 18.429.
History: 1965, Act 203, Eff. Jan. 1, 1966
Am. 1998, Act 237, Imd. Eff. July 3, 1998
Am. 2010, Act 67, Imd. Eff. May 13, 2010
Am. 2016, Act 289, Eff. Jan. 2, 2017
Compiler's Notes: For transfer of statutory authority, powers, duties, functions, and responsibilities of the Michigan justice training commission, the Michigan justice training fund, the commission on law enforcement standards, and the law enforcement officers training fund to the new Michigan commission on law enforcement standards by type III transfer, see E.R.O. No. 2001-2, compiled at MCL 28.621 of the Michigan compiled laws.
© 2015 Legislative Council, State of Michigan