MORTGAGE LOAN ORIGINATOR LICENSING ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 75 of 2009
493.137 Application; form; fee; criminal history check; relationships or contracts with nationwide mortgage licensing system and registry; furnishing certain information; use.
(1) An applicant for a license under this act shall apply in a form as prescribed by the commissioner. The applicant shall include with the application the fee required under section 19 and the criminal history check required under subsection (2). Each application form shall contain the content established by rule, instruction, or procedure of the commissioner. The commissioner may change or update the application form and its contents as necessary by the commissioner in order to carry out the purposes of this act.
(2) A person that employs or offers to employ, or engages or offers to engage as an agent, an individual as a mortgage loan originator, to originate mortgage loans on or after July 31, 2010, shall conduct a criminal history check of that individual and the applicant shall submit the results of that criminal history check with his or her application for license. All of the following apply to the criminal history check of an individual required under this subsection:
(a) The federal bureau of investigation shall perform the criminal history check.
(b) The individual who is the subject of the criminal history check shall have his or her fingerprints taken by a law enforcement agency or by another person that the commissioner determines is qualified to take fingerprints; shall pay the agency or person the fees as required by the federal bureau of investigation for processing fingerprints and completing a criminal history check; and shall request that the agency or person forward the fingerprints and appropriate fee to the federal bureau of investigation for a national criminal history check.
(c) After receiving a proper request and the required fees under this subsection, the federal bureau of investigation shall conduct the criminal history check and provide the commissioner and the applicant with the results of the criminal history check. The results shall contain any criminal history record information concerning the individual maintained by the federal bureau of investigation's criminal history check.
(d) A criminal history check required under this subsection may be conducted, requested of and performed by the federal bureau of investigation, and submitted to the commissioner at any time on or after July 31, 2009.
(3) The commissioner is authorized to establish relationships or contracts with the nationwide mortgage licensing system and registry or other entities designated by the nationwide mortgage licensing system and registry to collect and maintain records and process transaction fees or other fees related to licensed mortgage loan originators or other persons subject to this act.
(4) In connection with an application for licensing as a mortgage loan originator, an applicant shall at a minimum furnish to the nationwide mortgage licensing system and registry information concerning the applicant's identity, including, but not limited to, all of the following:
(a) The results of the criminal history check conducted under subsection (2).
(b) The applicant's personal history and experience in a form prescribed by the nationwide mortgage licensing system and registry, including the submission of authorization for the nationwide mortgage licensing system and registry and the commissioner to obtain all of the following concerning the applicant:
(i) An independent credit report obtained from a consumer reporting agency, as defined in section 603 of the fair credit reporting act, 15 USC 1681a.
(ii) Information related to any administrative, civil, or criminal findings by any governmental jurisdiction.
(5) For the purposes of this section, the commissioner may use the nationwide mortgage licensing system and registry for any of the following:
(a) Requesting information from and distributing information to the department of justice or any governmental agency.
(b) Requesting and distributing information to and from any source as directed by the commissioner.
History: 2009, Act 75, Eff. July 31, 2009
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan