PUBLIC EMPLOYEE RETIREMENT SYSTEM INVESTMENT ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 314 of 1965
38.1139 Investment in real estate investment trust or real or personal property.
(1) An investment fiduciary may invest up to 10% of a system's assets in publicly or privately issued real estate investment trusts or in real or personal property otherwise qualified pursuant to section 15, 16, or 20c.
(2) In addition to investments authorized under subsection (1), an investment fiduciary of a system having assets of more than $100,000,000.00 may do any of the following:
(a) Invest in, buy, sell, hold, improve, lease, or acquire by foreclosure or an agreement in lieu of foreclosure, real or personal property or an interest in real or personal property.
(b) Develop, maintain, operate, or lease the real or personal property referred to in subdivision (a).
(c) Form or invest in 1 or more limited partnerships, corporations, limited liability companies, trusts, or other organizational entities for which liability of an investor cannot exceed the amount of the investment under the laws of the United States or of any state, district, or territory of the United States or foreign country. The limited partnership, corporation, limited liability company, trust, or other organizational entity may invest in, buy, sell, hold, develop, improve, lease, or operate real or personal property, or originate a mortgage or invest in an annuity separate account that invests in real or personal property to hold title to, improve, lease, manage, develop, maintain, or operate real or personal property whether currently held or acquired after December 27, 1996. An entity formed under this subdivision has the right to exercise all powers granted to the entity by the laws of the jurisdiction of formation, including, but not limited to, the power to borrow money in order to provide additional capital to benefit and increase the overall return on the investment held by the entity.
(d) Invest in investments otherwise qualified pursuant to subsection (1).
(3) Except as otherwise provided in this section, the aggregate investments made under subsection (2) shall not exceed 10% of the assets of the system. The purchase price of an investment made under this section shall not exceed the appraised value of the real or personal property.
(4) If the investment fiduciary of a system is the state treasurer, investments described in subsection (1) or (2) may exceed 10% of the assets of the system.
(5) An investment qualified under this section in which the underlying asset is an interest in real or personal property constitutes an investment under this section for the purpose of meeting the asset limitations contained in this act. This subsection applies even though the investment may be qualified elsewhere in this act. Notwithstanding this subsection, an investment fiduciary may designate a real estate investment trust which satisfies the requirements of section 14(2) as an investment qualified under this section or as an investment in stock under section 14.
History: Add. 1982, Act 55, Imd. Eff. Apr. 6, 1982
Am. 1996, Act 485, Imd. Eff. Dec. 27, 1996
Am. 2000, Act 307, Imd. Eff. Oct. 16, 2000
Am. 2008, Act 425, Imd. Eff. Jan. 6, 2009
Am. 2012, Act 347, Eff. Mar. 28, 2013
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan