Jump to the first occurrence of "boat"
NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 451 of 1994
324.80124 Application for certificate of number; certificate of title; 15-day permit; fee; "the length of vessel" defined; tax exemption; issuance; delinquent fee or tax; penalty; retention of certificate of number on shore; contents of lease or rental agreement; painting or attaching number; assigning block of numbers; federally documented vessel; decal; issuance of original certificate of number, numbering renewal decal, or other renewal device; numbering system; registration; issuance of certificate of number; historic vessel; refund to owner of nonmotorized canoe or kayak; refund and computation of fee.
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, the owner of a vessel required, pursuant to sections 80122 and 80123, to be numbered and to display a decal shall file an application for a certificate of number with the secretary of state. The secretary of state shall prescribe and furnish certificate of title application forms. If a vessel requiring a certificate of title under part 803 is sold by a dealer, that dealer shall combine the application for a certificate of number that is signed by the vessel owner with the application for a certificate of title. The dealer shall obtain the certificate of number in the name of the owner. The application for a certificate of number shall include a certification. The owner of the vessel shall sign the application or, if the application is filed electronically, provide information requested by the secretary of state to verify the owner's identity. A person shall not file an application for a certificate of number that contains false information. A dealer who fails to submit an application as required by this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.
(2) A dealer who submits an application for a certificate of number as provided in subsection (1) may issue to the owner of the vessel a 15-day permit, on forms prescribed by the secretary of state, for the use of the vessel while the certificate of number is being issued.
(3) A dealer may issue a 15-day permit, on a form prescribed by the secretary of state, for the use of a vessel purchased in this state and delivered to the purchaser for removal to a place outside of this state, if the purchaser certifies by his or her signature that the vessel will be registered and primarily used and stored outside of this state and will not be returned to this state by the purchaser for use or storage. A certificate of number shall not be issued for a vessel holding a permit under this subsection.
(4) A 15-day permit issued under subsection (2) or (3) shall not be renewed or extended.
(5) A person shall operate or permit the operation of a vessel for which a 15-day permit has been issued under this section only if the permit is valid and displayed on the vessel as prescribed by rule promulgated by the department under this part.
(6) Except as otherwise provided in this section, an applicant shall pay the following fee at the time of application:
| (a) A 15-day permit issued under subsection (3).. $ 10.00
| (b) Nonpowered vessels, other than nonmotorized
|canoes or kayaks....................................... 9.00
| (c) Nonmotorized canoes or kayaks................. 5.00
| (d) Motorboats less than 12 feet in length........ 14.00
| (e) Motorboats 12 feet or over but less than
|16 feet in length...................................... 17.00
| (f) Motorboats 16 feet or over but less than
|21 feet in length...................................... 42.00
| (g) Motorboats 21 feet or over but less than
|28 feet in length...................................... 115.00
| (h) Motorboats 28 feet or over but less than
|35 feet in length...................................... 168.00
| (i) Motorboats 35 feet or over but less than
|42 feet in length...................................... 244.00
| (j) Motorboats 42 feet or over but less than
|50 feet in length...................................... 280.00
| (k) Motorboats 50 feet in length or over.......... 448.00
| (l) Pontoon vessels regardless of size............ 23.00
| (m) Motorized canoes regardless of size........... 14.00
| (n) Vessels licensed under part 473............... 15.00
| (o) Vessels carrying passengers for hire that
|are in compliance with part 445, or under federal law;
|and vessels carrying passengers and freight or freight
|only and owned within this state or hailing from a
|port within this state................................. 45.00
(7) As used in this section, "the length of a vessel" means the distance from end to end over the deck, excluding the longitudinal upward or downward curve of the deck, fore and aft. For a pontoon boat, length of a vessel means the length of its deck, fore and aft.
(8) Payment of the fee specified in this section exempts the vessel from the tax imposed under the general property tax act, 1893 PA 206, MCL 211.1 to 211.155.
(9) Upon receipt of an initial application for a certificate of number in approved form and payment of the required fee, the secretary of state shall enter the information upon the official records and issue to the applicant a certificate of number containing the number awarded to the vessel, the name and address of the owner, and other information that the secretary of state determines necessary. The secretary of state shall issue a certificate of number that is pocket size and legible. Except as provided in subsection (13), a person operating a vessel shall present that vessel's certificate of number to a peace officer upon the peace officer's request.
(10) If a check or draft payable to the secretary of state under this part is not paid on its first presentation, the fee or tax is delinquent as of the date the draft or check was tendered. The person tendering the check or draft remains liable for the payment of the fee or tax and a penalty.
(11) Upon determining that a fee or tax required by this part has not been paid and remains unpaid after reasonable notice and demand, the secretary of state may suspend a certificate of number.
(12) If a person who tenders a check or draft described in subsection (10) fails to pay the fee or tax for which the check or draft was tendered within 15 days after the secretary of state gives him or her notice that the check or draft described in subsection (10) was not paid on its first presentation, the secretary of state shall assess and collect a penalty of $5.00 or 20% of the check or draft, whichever is larger, in addition to the fee or tax.
(13) The owner or authorized agent of the owner of a vessel less than 26 feet in length that is leased or rented to a person for noncommercial use for not more than 24 hours may retain, at the place from which the vessel departs or returns to the possession of the owner or the owner's representative, the certificate of number for that vessel if a copy of the lease or rental agreement is on the vessel. Upon the demand of a peace officer, the operator shall produce for inspection either the certificate of number or a copy of the lease or rental agreement for that vessel. The lease or rental agreement shall contain each of the following:
(a) The vessel number that appears on the certificate of number.
(b) The period of time for which the vessel is leased or rented.
(c) The signature of the vessel's owner or that person's authorized agent.
(d) The signature of the person leasing or renting the vessel.
(14) Upon receipt of a certificate of number for a vessel, the owner of that vessel shall paint on or attach in a permanent manner to each side of the forward half of the vessel the number identified in the certificate of number, in the manner prescribed by rules promulgated by the department. The secretary of state shall assign to the owner of vessels for rent or lease a block of numbers sufficient to number consecutively all of that owner's rental or lease vessels. The owner shall maintain the numbers in a legible condition. A vessel documented by the United States coast guard or a federal agency that is the successor to the United States coast guard is not required to display numbers under this part but shall display a decal indicating payment of the fee prescribed in subsection (6), and shall otherwise be in compliance with this part. This subsection does not apply to a nonpowered vessel 12 feet or less in length.
(15) Upon receipt of an application for a certificate of number in an approved form and payment of the fee required by this part, the secretary of state shall issue a decal that indicates that the vessel is numbered in compliance with this part. The decal shall be color-coded and dated to identify the year of its expiration. The department shall promulgate a rule or rules to establish the manner in which the decal is to be displayed. A person who operates a vessel in violation of a rule promulgated to implement this subsection is responsible for a state civil infraction and may be ordered to pay a civil fine of not more than $500.00.
(16) A decal is valid for a 3-year period that begins on April 1 and expires on March 31 of the third year. An original certificate of number may be issued up to 90 days before April 1. A numbering renewal decal or other renewal device may be issued up to 90 days before the expiration of a certificate.
(17) Upon receipt of a request for renewal of a decal and payment of the fee prescribed in subsection (6), the secretary of state shall issue to the applicant a decal as provided in subsection (15). A person who operates a vessel for which no decal was issued as required under this section or for which a decal has expired is responsible for a state civil infraction and may be ordered to pay a civil fine of not more than $500.00.
(18) The numbering system adopted under this part shall be in accordance with the standard system of numbering established by the secretary of the department in which the United States coast guard operates.
(19) An agency of this state, a political subdivision of this state, or a state supported college or university of this state that owns a vessel that is required to be numbered under this part shall register that vessel and upon payment of either of the following shall receive from the secretary of state a certificate of number for that vessel:
(a) A fee of $3.00 for a vessel that is not used for recreational, commercial, or rental purposes.
(b) The fee required under subsection (6) for a vessel that is used for recreational, commercial, or rental purposes.
(20) The secretary of state shall, upon receipt of payment of the fee required under subsection (19), issue a certificate of number for each vessel subject to subsection (19).
(21) A vessel that is 30 years of age or older and not used other than in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and other similar activities is a historic vessel. The secretary of state shall make available to the public application forms for certificates of number for historic vessels and, upon receipt of a completed application form and fee, shall number a historic vessel as a historic vessel. The fee for the numbering of a historic vessel is 1/3 of the otherwise applicable fee specified in subsection (6).
(22) The secretary of state shall refund to the owner of a vessel registered under this part all of the registration fee paid for that vessel under this section if all of the following conditions are met during the period for which the registration fee was paid:
(a) The owner transfers or assigns title or interest in the registered vessel before placing the decal issued under subsection (15) on the vessel.
(b) The owner surrenders the unused decal to the secretary of state within 30 days after the date of transfer or assignment.
(23) The secretary of state shall refund to the surviving spouse of a deceased vessel owner the registration fee paid under this part, prorated on a monthly basis, upon receipt of the decal issued under subsection (15) or evidence satisfactory to the secretary of state that the decal issued under subsection (15) has been destroyed or voided.
(24) If the secretary of state computes a fee under this part that results in a figure other than a whole dollar amount, the secretary of state shall round the figure to the nearest whole dollar.
History: Add. 1995, Act 58, Imd. Eff. May 24, 1995
Am. 2007, Act 8, Imd. Eff. May 11, 2007
Am. 2012, Act 28, Imd. Eff. Feb. 23, 2012
Am. 2012, Act 294, Imd. Eff. Aug. 1, 2012
Popular Name: Act 451
Popular Name: Marine Safety Act
Popular Name: NREPA
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan