THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 328 of 1931
750.459 Transporting person for prostitution; sale of travel services for purposes of prostitution or human trafficking; conduct against minor; felony; "travel services" defined.
(1) A person shall not knowingly transport or cause to be transported, or aid or assist in obtaining transportation for, by any means of conveyance, into, through, or across this state, any person for the purpose of prostitution or with the intent and purpose to induce, entice, or compel that person to become a prostitute. A person who violates this subsection is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than 20 years or a fine of not more than $20,000.00, or both.
(2) A person shall not knowingly sell or offer to sell travel services that include or facilitate travel for the purpose of engaging in what would be a violation of this chapter, concerning prostitution, or of chapter LXVIIA, concerning human trafficking, if the violation occurred in this state. Except as provided in subsection (3), a person who violates this subsection is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than 5 years or a fine of not more than $10,000.00, or both.
(3) If a person violates subsection (2) and the violation involves conduct against a minor, the person is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than 10 years or a fine of not more than $15,000.00, or both.
(4) A person who violates this section may be prosecuted, indicted, tried, and convicted in any county or city in or through which he or she shall transport or attempt to transport any person in violation of this section.
(5) As used in this section, "travel services" means transportation by air, sea, or ground, hotel or other lodging accommodations, package tours, or the provision of vouchers or coupons to be redeemed for future travel, or accommodations for a fee, commission, or other valuable consideration.
History: 1931, Act 328, Eff. Sept. 18, 1931
CL 1948, 750.459
Am. 2014, Act 331, Imd. Eff. Oct. 16, 2014
Am. 2016, Act 485, Eff. Apr. 6, 2017
Former Law: See section 5 of Act 63 of 1911, being CL 1915, § 15498; and CL 1929, § 16866.
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan