MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 300 of 1949
257.243 Nonresident owner of foreign vehicle; registration; exemption; transportation for compensation; temporary permit; agent for secretary of state; pleasure vehicle; business vehicle.
(1) A nonresident owner, except as otherwise provided in this section, owning any foreign vehicle of a type otherwise subject to registration under this act may operate or permit the operation of the vehicle within this state without registering the vehicle in, or paying any fees to, this state if the vehicle at all times when operated in this state is duly registered in, and displays upon it a valid registration certificate and registration plate or plates issued for the vehicle in the place of residence of the owner.
(2) A nonresident owner of a foreign vehicle operated within this state for the transportation of persons or property for compensation shall register the vehicle and pay the same fees for its registration as is required with reference to like vehicles owned by residents of this state, except that the department may issue to the nonresident owner a temporary permit authorizing the operation of the foreign vehicle within this state for a period of 72 hours, without registering the vehicle, on the payment of a fee as provided in section 802a of this act. The temporary permit shall be in a form as prescribed by, and shall be displayed on a foreign vehicle in a manner determined by the secretary of state. Each request for a temporary permit under this subsection shall be based on emergency or infrequent need for the permit. The secretary of state may refuse to issue a permit if he or she has reason to believe the applicant has previously forged or misused a permit, has attempted to circumvent the registration laws of this state, or has not demonstrated an emergency or infrequent use.
(3) The secretary of state may designate an owner or registrant having a fleet of motor vehicles currently registered under this act to act as an agent for the secretary of state for the purpose of issuing to himself or herself a temporary registration under this section.
(4) A nonresident owner of a pleasure vehicle otherwise subject to registration under this act shall not operate the vehicle for a period exceeding 90 days without securing registration in this state.
(5) Every nonresident, including any foreign corporation carrying on business within this state and owning and operating in that business any vehicle subject to registration as provided in this chapter, shall register the vehicle and pay the same fee for the registration as is required with reference to like vehicles owned by residents of this state, except as otherwise provided by law.
History: 1949, Act 300, Eff. Sept. 23, 1949
Am. 1960, Act 98, Imd. Eff. Apr. 26, 1960
Am. 1989, Act 299, Imd. Eff. Jan. 3, 1990
© 2020 Legislative Council, State of Michigan