MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 300 of 1949
257.743 Contents of citation issued pursuant to MCL 257.742; timely appearance.
(1) A citation issued pursuant to section 742 shall contain the name of the state or political subdivision acting as plaintiff, the name and address of the person to whom the citation is issued, the civil infraction alleged, the place where the person shall appear in court, the telephone number of the court, the time at or by which the appearance shall be made, and the additional information required by this section.
(2) The citation shall inform the defendant to the effect that he or she, at or by the time specified for appearance, may:
(a) Admit responsibility for the civil infraction in person, by representation, or by mail.
(b) Admit responsibility for the civil infraction "with explanation" in person, by representation, or by mail.
(c) Deny responsibility for the civil infraction by doing either of the following:
(i) Appearing in person for an informal hearing before a district court magistrate or a judge without the opportunity of being represented by an attorney.
(ii) Appearing in court for a formal hearing before a judge, with the opportunity of being represented by an attorney.
(3) The citation shall inform the defendant that if the person desires to admit responsibility "with explanation" other than by mail or to have an informal hearing or a formal hearing, the person must apply to the court in person, by mail, or by telephone, within the time specified for appearance and obtain a scheduled date and time to appear for a hearing. A hearing date may be specified on the citation.
(4) The citation shall contain a notice in boldface type that the failure of a person to appear within the time specified in the citation or at the time scheduled for a hearing or appearance will result in entry of a default judgment against the person and in the immediate suspension of the person's operator's or chauffeur's license. Timely application to the court for a hearing or return of the citation with an admission of responsibility and with full payment of applicable civil fines and costs constitute a timely appearance.
(5) If the citation is issued to a person who is operating a commercial motor vehicle, the citation shall contain a vehicle group designation and indorsement description of the vehicle, which vehicle is operated by the person at the time of the alleged civil infraction.
History: Add. 1978, Act 510, Eff. Aug. 1, 1979
Am. 1979, Act 66, Eff. Aug. 1, 1979
Am. 1988, Act 346, Eff. Jan. 1, 1990
Am. 2006, Act 298, Imd. Eff. July 20, 2006
Compiler's Notes: Section 2 of Act 346 of 1988 provides:“(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, this amendatory act shall take effect October 1, 1989.“(2) Sections 634, 710g, 722, 723, 724, 802, and 907 of this amendatory act shall take effect January 1, 1989.“(3) Sections 4B and 801 of this amendatory act shall take effect upon the date of enactment of this amendatory act.”Section 2 of Act 173 of 1989 provides:“(1) The amendments made to sections 8b, 57, 67a, 301, 303, 305, 306, 307, 309, 310, 312d, 312e, 312f, 312g, 312h, 314, 314b, 319a, 321a, 323, 728, 732, 743, and 907 of Act No. 300 of the Public Acts of 1949, being sections 257.8b, 257.57, 257.67a, 257.301, 257.303, 257.305, 257.306, 257.307, 257.309, 257.310, 257.312d, 257.312e, 257.312f, 257.312g, 257.312h, 257.314, 257.314b, 257.319a, 257.321a, 257.323, 257.728, 257.732, 257.743, and 257.907 of the Michigan Compiled Laws, by Act No. 346 of the Public Acts of 1988 shall take effect January 1, 1990.“(2) Enacting section 2 of Act No. 346 of the Public Acts of 1988 is repealed.”
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan