Act 372 of 1927
***** 28.425j THIS SECTION IS AMENDED EFFECTIVE OCTOBER 11, 2017: See 28.425j.amended *****
28.425j Pistol training or safety program; conditions; prohibited conduct; violation; certificate of completion.
(1) A pistol training or safety program described in section 5b(7)(c) meets the requirements for knowledge or training in the safe use and handling of a pistol only if the training was provided within 5 years preceding the date of application and consisted of not less than 8 hours of instruction and all of the following conditions are met:
(a) The program is certified by this state or a national or state firearms training organization and provides 5 hours of instruction in, but is not limited to providing instruction in, all of the following:
(i) The safe storage, use, and handling of a pistol including, but not limited to, safe storage, use, and handling to protect child safety.
(ii) Ammunition knowledge, and the fundamentals of pistol shooting.
(iii) Pistol shooting positions.
(iv) Firearms and the law, including civil liability issues and the use of deadly force. This portion shall be taught by an attorney or an individual trained in the use of deadly force.
(v) Avoiding criminal attack and controlling a violent confrontation.
(vi) All laws that apply to carrying a concealed pistol in this state.
(b) The program provides at least 3 hours of instruction on a firing range and requires firing at least 30 rounds of ammunition.
(c) The program provides a certificate of completion that states the program complies with the requirements of this section and that the individual successfully completed the course, and that contains the printed name and signature of the course instructor. The certificate of completion shall contain the statement, "This course complies with section 5j of 1927 PA 372.". For certificates issued on or after December 1, 2015, each certificate shall also contain both of the following, which shall be printed on the face of the certificate or attached in a separate document:
(i) The instructor's name and telephone number.
(ii) The name and telephone number of the state agency or a state or national firearms training organization that has certified the individual as an instructor for purposes of this section, his or her instructor certification number, if any, and the expiration date of that certification.
(d) The instructor of the course is certified by this state or a state or national firearms training organization to teach the pistol safety training courses described in this section. The county clerk shall not require any other certification or require an instructor to register with the county or county clerk.
(2) A training certificate that does not meet the requirements under state law applicable at the time the certification was issued may otherwise meet the requirements of subsection (1)(c) if the applicant provides information that reasonably demonstrates that the certificate or the training meets the applicable requirements.
(3) A person shall not do either of the following:
(a) Grant a certificate of completion described under subsection (1)(c) to an individual knowing the individual did not satisfactorily complete the course.
(b) Present a certificate of completion described under subsection (1)(c) to a county clerk knowing that the individual did not satisfactorily complete the course.
(4) A person who violates subsection (3) is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than 4 years or a fine of not more than $2,500.00, or both.
(5) A county clerk shall not require that a specific form, color, wording, or other content appear on a certificate of completion, except as otherwise required under this act.
History: Add. 2000, Act 381, Eff. July 1, 2001
Am. 2002, Act 719, Eff. July 1, 2003
Am. 2004, Act 254, Imd. Eff. July 23, 2004
Am. 2015, Act 3, Eff. Dec. 1, 2015
Popular Name: CCW
Popular Name: Concealed Weapons
Popular Name: CPL
Popular Name: Right to Carry
Popular Name: Shall Issue
© 2015 Legislative Council, State of Michigan