THE REVISED SCHOOL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 451 of 1976
380.553a Cyber school.
(1) An authorizing body may issue a contract to establish a school of excellence that is a cyber school. A cyber school shall provide full-time instruction to pupils through online learning or otherwise on a computer or other technology, and this instruction and learning may occur remote from a school facility. Subject to section 559(3), a cyber school may develop and implement personalized, nontraditional, or flexible learning opportunities that include, but are not limited to, project-based learning or competency-based education.
(2) A contract for a school of excellence that is a cyber school must include all of the provisions required under section 553 and both of the following:
(a) A requirement that a teacher who holds appropriate certification according to state board rule or who is engaged to teach under section 1233b will be responsible for all of the following for each course in which a pupil is enrolled:
(i) Improving learning by planned instruction.
(ii) Diagnosing the pupil's learning needs.
(iii) Assessing learning, assigning grades, and determining advancement.
(iv) Reporting outcomes to administrators and parents or legal guardians.
(b) A requirement that the cyber school will make educational services available to pupils for a minimum of at least 1,098 hours during a school year. The cyber school shall track a pupil's participation through attendance in the educational program offered by the cyber school for the proportionate number of instructional hours from the date of enrollment of the pupil.
(3) Notwithstanding any other provision of this act or any rule, if a school of excellence that is a cyber school is in compliance with the requirements of subsection (2)(a) regarding a certificated teacher or a teacher engaged to teach under section 1233b, any other adult assisting with the oversight of a pupil during the pupil's participation in the cyber school's education program is not required to be a certificated teacher, a teacher engaged to teach under section 1233b, or an employee of the school.
(4) Notwithstanding any rule to the contrary, a cyber school is not required to comply with any rule that would require a pupil's physical presence or attendance in a classroom.
(5) At the end of a cyber school's second complete school year of operations, the authorizing body of a school of excellence that is a cyber school shall submit to the superintendent of public instruction and the legislature, in the form and manner prescribed by the superintendent of public instruction, a report detailing the operation of the cyber school, providing statistics of pupil participation and academic performance, and making recommendations for any further statutory or rule change related to cyber schools and online learning in this state.
History: Add. 2009, Act 205, Imd. Eff. Jan. 4, 2010
Am. 2011, Act 277, Eff. Mar. 28, 2012
Am. 2018, Act 235, Eff. Sept. 25, 2018
Am. 2018, Act 619, Imd. Eff. Dec. 28, 2018
Popular Name: Act 451
© 2020 Legislative Council, State of Michigan