THE REVISED SCHOOL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 451 of 1976
380.1231 Hiring of teachers; teachers' contracts generally.
(1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (5), the board of a school district shall hire and contract with qualified teachers. Contracts with teachers shall be in writing and signed on behalf of the school district by a majority of the board, by the president and secretary of the board, or by the superintendent of schools or an authorized representative of the board. The contracts shall specify the wages agreed upon.
(2) A teacher's contract shall be filed with the secretary of the board and a duplicate copy of the contract shall be furnished to the teacher.
(3) Except as otherwise provided under this act, a contract with a teacher is not valid unless the individual holds a valid teaching certificate or is engaged to teach under section 1233b at the time the contractual period begins or the individual is engaged to teach in a community district under section 1233c. A contract shall terminate if the certificate expires by limitation and is not renewed immediately or if it is suspended or revoked by proper legal authority.
(4) The board of a school district, after a teacher has been employed at least 2 consecutive years by the board, may enter into a continuing contract with a certificated teacher or a teacher engaged to teach under section 1233b or, for a community district, with an individual engaged to teach in a community district under section 1233c.
(5) The board of a school district that is a community district may employ or contract for, or both, qualified teachers and other qualified instructional personnel at a public school that formerly operated as an achievement school as necessary to carry out the purposes of the community district.
(6) As used in this section:
(a) "Achievement school" means a public school formerly within the education achievement system that was operated, managed, authorized, established, or overseen by the achievement authority.
(b) "Teacher" does not include a substitute teacher.
History: 1976, Act 451, Imd. Eff. Jan. 13, 1977
Am. 2002, Act 735, Eff. Mar. 31, 2003
Am. 2016, Act 192, Imd. Eff. June 21, 2016
Am. 2018, Act 235, Eff. Sept. 25, 2018
Popular Name: Act 451
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan