MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 300 of 1949
257.217d Special congressional medal of honor registration plate.
(1) The secretary of state shall design and may issue a special congressional medal of honor registration plate for residents of this state awarded the congressional medal of honor.
(2) A special congressional medal of honor registration plate shall be issued only for 1 vehicle intended for personal use by the applicant.
(3) A person who is a recipient of the congressional medal of honor may apply to the secretary of state for a special registration plate under this section on a form prescribed by the secretary of state, which shall be accompanied by any proof of the applicant having been a congressional medal of honor recipient that the secretary of state may require. The secretary of state shall waive the $5.00 service fee requirement under section 804.
(4) A person who qualifies to be issued a special registration plate under this section is entitled to only 1 special registration plate issued under subsection (1) that is exempt from payment of the tax provided in section 801.
(5) A person with disabilities who applies for a special registration plate under this section shall be issued a tab for persons with disabilities as provided in section 803f for his or her special registration plate. The secretary of state shall require the same proof that the applicant is disabled as is required for issuance of a permanent windshield placard under section 675.
(6) A special registration plate issued under subsection (1) expires on the birthday of the vehicle owner in a year in which new plates are issued by the secretary of state.
(7) The secretary of state shall deliver or cause to be delivered 1 or more special registration plates issued under this section to the home address of the applicant at no additional cost to the applicant.
History: Add. 1980, Act 124, Imd. Eff. May 21, 1980
Am. 2000, Act 78, Imd. Eff. Apr. 7, 2000
Am. 2003, Act 152, Eff. Oct. 1, 2003
Am. 2006, Act 562, Eff. Jan. 1, 2007
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan