CONSTRUCTION OF SCHOOL BUILDINGS (EXCERPT)
Act 306 of 1937
388.855a Applicability of act; exemptions.
(1) Except as provided in this section, this act does not apply to 1-story school buildings, to 1-story additions to school buildings, or to the construction, reconstruction, or remodeling of a school building if the total cost of construction, reconstruction, or remodeling is less than $15,000.00.
(2) Section 1(a) applies to the construction of all school buildings and additions to school buildings regardless of the number of stories of the buildings or additions if the total cost of construction exceeds $15,000.00.
(3) Section 1(d) applies to the construction of all school buildings and additions to school buildings of 1 or more stories regardless of the cost of construction.
(4) This act applies to the reconstruction of a school building destroyed or partially destroyed by fire, windstorm, or other catastrophe if more than 50% of the entire building is destroyed. The bureau of fire services created in section 1b of the fire prevention code, 1941 PA 207, MCL 29.1b, acting jointly with the superintendent of public instruction, may require that the damaged portion or the remaining portion of the building, or both, be remodeled or reconstructed in accordance with this act.
(5) This act applies to the remodeling of existing school buildings and other buildings to be used for school purposes.
(6) An existing building or part of an existing building, regardless of the number of stories or the cost to the school district of the building, that has not been used as a school building shall not be used as a school building unless it is approved by the superintendent of public instruction and the bureau of fire services.
(7) If the construction, reconstruction, or remodeling of a school building costs less than $15,000.00, it is not necessary to employ a registered architect or engineer, but the plans for the building shall be submitted to the bureau of fire services and to the superintendent of public instruction or the superintendent's authorized agent for criticism, suggestions, and approval.
History: 1937, Act 306, Imd. Eff. July 23, 1937
Am. 1941, Act 148, Eff. Jan. 10, 1942
CL 1948, 388.855a
Am. 1949, Act 231, Imd. Eff. May 31, 1949
Am. 1962, Act 175, Imd. Eff. May 17, 1962
Am. 2006, Act 199, Imd. Eff. June 19, 2006
Compiler's Notes: For transfer of powers and duties of state fire marshal to department of labor and economic growth, bureau of construction codes and fire safety, by type II transfer, see E.R.O. No. 2003-1, compiled at MCL 445.2011.
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan