Jump to the first occurrence of "exotic"
ANIMAL INDUSTRY ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 466 of 1988
287.731 Species not to be imported; wild or exotic animals; feral swine; large carnivores; wolf-dog cross.
(1) The director may create an order as provided in this section.
(2) Any species having the potential to spread serious diseases or parasites, to cause serious physical harm, or to otherwise endanger wild animals, wild animal and domesticated animal crosses, human life, livestock, domestic animals, or property, as determined by the director, shall not be imported into this state, except as determined by the director of the department of natural resources under section 40107 of the natural resources and environmental protection act, 1994 PA 451, MCL 324.40107. An order of the director under this subsection applies to the species identified in the order, unless the order expressly provides otherwise.
(3) The director may require compliance with any or all of the following before the importation of a wild animal or an exotic
animal species not regulated by the Fish and Wildlife Service of the United States Department of Interior or the department of natural resources of this state:
(a) Physical examination by an accredited veterinarian be conducted after importation to determine the health status, proper housing, husbandry, and confinement of any animal permitted to enter this state.
(b) Negative test results to specific official tests required by the director within a time frame before importation into this state as determined by the director.
(c) Identification prior to importation in a manner approved by the director.
(d) A prior entry permit.
(4) A person shall not import or release live feral swine or any crosses of feral swine in this state for any purpose without permission from the director.
(5) Notwithstanding any other provision of this act, and unless otherwise allowed under section 22 of the large carnivore act, 2000 PA 274, MCL 287.1122, a person shall not import a large carnivore, as that term is defined in section 2 of the large carnivore act, 2000 PA 274, MCL 287.1102, into this state.
(6) Notwithstanding any other provision of this act, and unless otherwise allowed under section 22 of the wolf-dog cross act, 2000 PA 246, MCL 287.1022, a person shall not import a wolf-dog cross, as that term is defined in section 2 of the wolf-dog cross act, 2000 PA 246, MCL 287.1002, into this state.
History: 1988, Act 466, Eff. Mar. 28, 1989
Am. 1990, Act 40, Imd. Eff. Mar. 29, 1990
Am. 1994, Act 41, Imd. Eff. Mar. 14, 1994
Am. 2000, Act 323, Imd. Eff. Oct. 31, 2000
Am. 2003, Act 271, Eff. Mar. 30, 2004
Am. 2019, Act 132, Eff. Feb. 19, 2020
© 2020 Legislative Council, State of Michigan