MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 300 of 1949
257.232 Furnishing list of information to federal, state, or local governmental agency; contract for sale of lists of driver and motor vehicle records; records maintained in bulk; surveys, marketing, or solicitations; insertion of safeguard in agreement or contract; duties of recipient of personal information; disclosure of list based on driving behavior or sanctions.
(1) Upon request, the secretary of state may furnish a list of information from the records of the department maintained under this act to a federal, state, or local governmental agency for use in carrying out the agency's functions, or to a private person or entity acting on behalf of a governmental agency for use in carrying out the agency's functions. The secretary of state may charge the requesting agency a preparation fee to cover the cost of preparing and furnishing a list provided under this subsection if the cost of preparation exceeds $25.00, and use the revenues received from the service to defray necessary expenses. If the secretary of state sells a list of information under this subsection to a member of the state legislature, the secretary of state shall charge the same fee as the fee for the sale of information under subsection (2) unless the list of information is requested by the member of the legislature to carry out a legislative function. The secretary of state may require the requesting agency to furnish 1 or more blank computer tapes, cartridges, or other electronic media and may require the agency to execute a written memorandum of agreement as a condition of obtaining a list of information under this subsection.
(2) The secretary of state may contract for the sale of lists of driver and motor vehicle records and other records maintained under this act in bulk, in addition to those lists distributed at cost or at no cost under this section for purposes permitted by and described in section 208c(3). The secretary of state shall require each purchaser of records in bulk to execute a written purchase contract. The secretary of state shall fix a market-based price for the sale of such lists or other records maintained in bulk, which may include personal information. The proceeds from each sale made under this subsection on and after October 1, 2005 through October 1, 2019 shall be credited to the transportation administration collection fund created in section 810b.
(3) The secretary of state or any other state agency shall not sell or furnish any list of information under subsection (2) for the purpose of surveys, marketing, or solicitations. The secretary of state shall ensure that personal information disclosed in bulk will be used, rented, or sold solely for uses permitted under this act.
(4) The secretary of state may insert any safeguard the secretary considers reasonable or necessary, including a bond requirement, in a memorandum of agreement or purchase contract executed under this section, to ensure that the information provided or sold is used only for a permissible purpose and that the rights of individuals and of the department are protected.
(5) An authorized recipient of personal information disclosed under this section who resells or rediscloses the information for any of the purposes permitted by and described in section 208c(3) shall do both of the following:
(a) Make and keep for a period of not less than 5 years records identifying each person who received personal information from the authorized recipient and the permitted purpose for which it was obtained.
(b) Allow a representative of the secretary of state, upon request, to inspect and copy records identifying each person who received personal information from the authorized recipient and the permitted purpose for which it was obtained.
(6) The secretary of state shall not disclose a list based on driving behavior or sanctions to a nongovernmental agency, including an individual.
History: 1949, Act 300, Eff. Sept. 23, 1949
Am. 1956, Act 230, Eff. Aug. 11, 1956
Am. 1997, Act 101, Imd. Eff. Aug. 7, 1997
Am. 2000, Act 192, Eff. Jan. 1, 2001
Am. 2005, Act 173, Imd. Eff. Oct. 12, 2005
Am. 2009, Act 99, Imd. Eff. Sept. 30, 2009
Am. 2011, Act 159, Imd. Eff. Sept. 30, 2011
Am. 2015, Act 73, Eff. Oct. 1, 2015
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan