MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 300 of 1949
257.803f Special registration plates for totally disabled veterans; inscription; application; form; service fee; proof; tax exemption; expiration of plates; renewal; tab for persons with disabilities; misdemeanor.
(1) A person who is a totally disabled veteran with an honorable discharge from the armed services may make an application to the secretary of state if he or she owns a private passenger motor vehicle, and the secretary of state may issue a special registration plate which shall be inscribed with special identification numbers preceded by the letters “DV” and shall have the words “disabled veteran” inscribed beneath the registration number. For the purposes of this section, “private passenger motor vehicle” means a motor vehicle which is personally owned by the disabled veteran and is used for the primary purpose of transporting the disabled veteran and family members of the disabled veteran, but does not include a motor home.
(2) Application for the special registration plate shall be on a form prescribed by the secretary of state, and shall be accompanied by a service fee of $5.00 and proof that the applicant was honorably discharged from the armed services and either 1 of the following:
(a) That the applicant has been determined by the veterans' administration of the federal government to have a service-connected total or permanent total disability rating for compensation.
(b) That the applicant has been determined to have a service-connected total or permanent total disability rating and is receiving disability retirement pay from a branch of the uniformed armed services.
(3) A special registration issued under this section is exempt from payment of the tax provided in section 801.
(4) The special registration plate shall expire on the birthday of the disabled veteran in a year in which new plates are issued by the secretary of state. Application for renewal of the special registration plate shall be accompanied by a $5.00 service fee. The applicant shall not be required to furnish the proof provided in subsection (2).
(5) The secretary of state may issue to a disabled person who has been issued a special registration plate under this section a tab for persons with disabilities. The tab for persons with disabilities shall be an adhesive tab displaying the international wheelchair symbol or a reasonable facsimile of that symbol. The tab for persons with disabilities may be attached only to the special registration plate issued to the disabled person under this section.
(6) An application for a tab for persons with disabilities shall be on a form prescribed by the secretary of state. The secretary of state shall require the same proof that the applicant is a disabled person as is required for issuance of a permanent windshield placard under section 675.
(7) The tab for persons with disabilities shall be issued free of charge.
(8) When a disabled person who has been issued a tab for persons with disabilities renews his or her special registration plate under this section, the secretary of state shall issue a new tab for persons with disabilities to the disabled person, free of charge. The disabled person shall not be required to again furnish the proof required under subsection (6).
(9) The use of the special registration plate or a tab for persons with disabilities on a motor vehicle other than the motor vehicle for which the special registration plate is issued, or by a person who does not qualify under this section, is a misdemeanor.
History: Add. 1985, Act 99, Imd. Eff. July 18, 1985
Am. 1986, Act 222, Eff. Oct. 1, 1986
Am. 1994, Act 104, Eff. Oct. 1, 1994
Am. 1998, Act 68, Imd. Eff. May 4, 1998
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan