REVISED JUDICATURE ACT OF 1961 (EXCERPT)
Act 236 of 1961
600.8130 Sixty-first to sixty-third district.
(1) The sixty-first district consists of the city of Grand Rapids, is a district of the third class and has 6 judges.
(2) The sixty-second-a district consists of the city of Wyoming, is a district of the third class and has 2 judges.
(3) The sixty-second-b district consists of the city of Kentwood, is a district of the third class and has 1 judge.
(4) Except as provided in subsection (5), the sixty-third district consists of the county of Kent, except the cities of Grand Rapids, Walker, Grandville, Wyoming and Kentwood, is a district of the second class, and is divided into the following election divisions:
(a) The first division consists of the cities of Cedar Springs and Rockford and the townships of Tyrone, Solon, Nelson, Spencer, Sparta, Algoma, Courtland, Oakfield, Alpine, Plainfield, Cannon, and Grattan and has 1 judge.
(b) The second division consists of the cities of East Grand Rapids and Lowell and the townships of Grand Rapids, Ada, Vergennes, Cascade, Lowell, Byron, Gaines, Caledonia, and Bowne and has 1 judge.
(5) Beginning January 2, 2015, the sixty-third district consists of the county of Kent, except the cities of Grand Rapids, Walker, Grandville, Wyoming, and Kentwood, is a district of the second class, and has 2 judges. For purposes of the November 2020 general election only, the term of the candidate who receives the greatest number of votes is 8 years and the term of the candidate who receives the second greatest number of votes is 6 years. Subject to section 8175, the sixty-third district may have 1 additional judge beginning January 1, 2017. If this new district judgeship is added to the sixty-third district beginning January 1, 2017, the initial term of office of the judgeship shall be 8 years.
History: Add. 1968, Act 154, Imd. Eff. June 17, 1968
Am. 1970, Act 30, Imd. Eff. June 11, 1970
Am. 1977, Act 129, Imd. Eff. Oct. 21, 1977
Am. 1988, Act 135, Imd. Eff. May 27, 1988
Am. 2014, Act 60, Imd. Eff. Mar. 27, 2014
Compiler's Notes: Section 2 of Act 135 of 1988 provides:“Any additional district judgeship to be added by election in 1988 shall not be authorized to be filled by election unless each district control unit of the district, by resolution adopted by the governing body of the district control unit, approves the creation of that judgeship and unless the clerk of each district control unit adopting such a resolution files a copy of the resolution with the state court administrator not later than 4 p.m. of the tenth Tuesday preceding the August primary for the election to fill the additional district judgeship.”
© 2015 Legislative Council, State of Michigan