WORKER'S DISABILITY COMPENSATION ACT OF 1969 (EXCERPT)
Act 317 of 1969
418.352 Supplement to weekly compensation.
(1) An employee receiving or entitled to receive benefits equal to the maximum payable to that employee under section 351 or the dependent of a deceased employee receiving or entitled to receive benefits under section 321 whose benefits are based on a date of personal injury between September 1, 1965, and December 31, 1979, shall be entitled to a supplement to weekly compensation. The supplement shall be computed using the total annual percentage change in the state average weekly wage, rounded to the nearest 1/10 of 1%, as determined under section 355. The supplement shall be computed as a percentage of the weekly compensation rate that the employee or the dependent of a deceased employee is receiving or is entitled to receive on January 1, 1982 had the employee been receiving benefits at that time, rounded to the nearest dollar. The supplement shall not exceed 5% compounded for each calendar year in the adjustment period. The percentage change for purposes of the adjustment shall be computed from the base year through December 31, 1981. A supplement shall not be paid retroactively for any period of disability before January 1, 1982.
(2) For personal injuries occurring from September 1, 1965, through December 31, 1968, the base year shall be 1968. For personal injuries occurring between January 1, 1969 and December 31, 1979, the base year shall be the year in which the personal injury occurred.
(3) Pursuant to subsection (1), the director shall announce on December 1, 1981, the supplement percentages payable on January 1, 1982.
(4) All personal injuries found compensable under this act after January 1, 1982 with a personal injury date before January 1, 1980, shall be paid at a rate determined pursuant to this section.
(5) An employee who is eligible to receive differential benefits from the second injury fund shall be paid the supplement pursuant to this section as reduced by the amount of the differential payments being made to the employee by the second injury fund at the time of the payment of the supplement pursuant to this section.
(6) The supplement paid pursuant to this section, when added to the original benefit, shall not exceed the maximum weekly rate of compensation provided in section 355 in effect on the date of the adjustment.
(7) An employee is not entitled to supplements under this section for a personal injury for which the liability has been redeemed.
(8) The supplements under this section shall be paid by an insurer or self-insurer on a weekly basis. The insurer, self-insurer, the second injury fund, and the self-insurers' security fund are entitled to quarterly reimbursement for these payments from the compensation supplement fund in section 391, except that an insurer or self-insurer subject to section 440a of the insurance code of 1956, 1956 PA 218, MCL 500.440a, section 38b of the single business tax act, 1975 PA 228, MCL 208.38b, or section 423 of the Michigan business tax act, 2007 PA 36, MCL 208.1423, shall take a credit under either section 440a of the insurance code of 1956, 1956 PA 218, MCL 500.440a, section 38b of the single business tax act, 1975 PA 228, MCL 208.38b, or section 423 of the Michigan business tax act, 2007 PA 36, MCL 208.1423, as applicable.
(9) This section does not apply to an employee receiving benefits under section 361(1).
(10) An insurer, self-insurer, the second injury fund, or the self-insurers' security fund shall make the supplemental payments required by this section for each quarter of the state's fiscal year that the state treasurer certifies that there are sufficient funds available to meet the obligations of the fund created in section 391 for that quarter. The state treasurer shall certify whether there are sufficient funds in the fund created in section 391 to meet the obligations of that fund for each quarter of the fiscal year of the state on or before the first day of each quarter.
(11) An insurer, self-insurer, the second injury fund, or the self-insurers' security fund shall make the supplemental payments required by this section for the period July 1, 1982 to September 30, 1982 and shall be reimbursed for those payments.
History: Add. 1980, Act 357, Eff. Jan. 1, 1982
Am. 1982, Act 32, Imd. Eff. Mar. 10, 1982
Am. 1982, Act 282, Imd. Eff. Oct. 7, 1982
Am. 1984, Act 46, Imd. Eff. Apr. 9, 1984
Am. 2007, Act 190, Imd. Eff. Dec. 21, 2007
Popular Name: Act 317
Popular Name: Heart and Lung Act
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan