NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 451 of 1994
324.11504 Definitions; H to T.
(1) "Health officer" means a full-time administrative officer of a certified city, county, or district department of health.
(2) "Inert material" means a substance that will not decompose, dissolve, or in any other way form a contaminated leachate upon contact with water, or other liquids determined by the department as likely to be found at the disposal area, percolating through the substance.
(3) "Insurance" means insurance that conforms to the requirements of 40 CFR 258.74(d) provided by an insurer who has a certificate of authority from the director of insurance and financial services to sell this line of coverage. An applicant for an operating license shall submit evidence of the required coverage by submitting both of the following to the department:
(a) A certificate of insurance that uses wording approved by the department.
(b) A certified true and complete copy of the insurance policy.
(4) "Landfill" means a disposal area that is a sanitary landfill.
(5) "Letter of credit" means an irrevocable letter of credit that complies with 40 CFR 258.74(c).
(6) "Medical waste" means that term as it is defined in section 13805 of the public health code, 1978 PA 368, MCL 333.13805.
(7) "Municipal solid waste incinerator" means an incinerator that is owned or operated by any person, and meets all of the following requirements:
(a) The incinerator receives solid waste from off site and burns only household waste from single and multiple dwellings, hotels, motels, and other residential sources, or this household waste together with solid waste from commercial, institutional, municipal, county, or industrial sources that, if disposed of, would not be required to be placed in a disposal facility licensed under part 111.
(b) The incinerator has established contractual requirements or other notification or inspection procedures sufficient to ensure that the incinerator receives and burns only waste referred to in subdivision (a).
(c) The incinerator meets the requirements of this part and the rules promulgated under this part.
(d) The incinerator is not an industrial furnace as defined in 40 CFR 260.10.
(e) The incinerator is not an incinerator that receives and burns only medical waste or only waste produced at 1 or more hospitals.
(8) "Municipal solid waste incinerator ash" means the substances remaining after combustion in a municipal solid waste incinerator.
(9) "Perpetual care fund" means a trust or escrow account or perpetual care fund bond provided for in section 11525.
(10) "Perpetual care fund bond" means a surety bond, an irrevocable letter of credit, or a combination of these instruments in favor of and on a form approved by the department by which a perpetual care fund is established.
(11) "Trust fund" means a trust fund held by a trustee which has the authority to act as a trustee and whose trust operations are regulated and examined by a federal or state agency. A trust fund shall comply with section 11523b.
History: 1994, Act 451, Eff. Mar. 30, 1995
Am. 1996, Act 359, Imd. Eff. July 1, 1996
Am. 2013, Act 250, Imd. Eff. Dec. 26, 2013
Popular Name: Act 451
Popular Name: NREPA
Popular Name: Solid Waste Act
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan