Act 372 of 1927
28.425j Pistol training or safety program; conditions.
(1) A pistol training or safety program described in section 5b(7)(c) meets the requirements for knowledge or training in the safe use and handling of a pistol only if the program consists of not less than 8 hours of instruction and all of the following conditions are met:
(a) The program is certified by this state or a national or state firearms training organization and provides 5 hours of instruction in, but is not limited to providing instruction in, all of the following:
(i) The safe storage, use, and handling of a pistol including, but not limited to, safe storage, use, and handling to protect child safety.
(ii) Ammunition knowledge, and the fundamentals of pistol shooting.
(iii) Pistol shooting positions.
(iv) Firearms and the law, including civil liability issues and the use of deadly force. This portion shall be taught by an attorney or an individual trained in the use of deadly force.
(v) Avoiding criminal attack and controlling a violent confrontation.
(vi) All laws that apply to carrying a concealed pistol in this state.
(b) The program provides at least 3 hours of instruction on a firing range and requires firing at least 30 rounds of ammunition.
(c) The program provides a certificate of completion that states the program complies with the requirements of this section and that the individual successfully completed the course, and that contains the printed name and signature of the course instructor. Not later than October 1, 2004, the certificate of completion shall contain the statement, “This course complies with section 5j of 1927 PA 372.”
(d) The instructor of the course is certified by this state or a national organization to teach the 8-hour pistol safety training course described in this section.
(2) A person shall not do either of the following:
(a) Grant a certificate of completion described under subsection (1)(c) to an individual knowing the individual did not satisfactorily complete the course.
(b) Present a certificate of completion described under subsection (1)(c) to a concealed weapon licensing board knowing that the individual did not satisfactorily complete the course.
(3) A person who violates subsection (2) is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than 4 years or a fine of not more than $2,500.00, or both.
(4) A concealed weapons licensing board shall not require that a specific form, color, wording, or other content appear on a certificate of completion, except as provided in subsection (5), and shall accept as valid a certificate of completion issued prior to the effective date of the amendatory act that added this subsection that contains an inaccurate reference or no reference to this section but otherwise complies with this section.
(5) Beginning October 1, 2004, a concealed weapons licensing board shall require that a certificate of completion contain the statement, “This course complies with section 5j of 1927 PA 372.”.
History: Add. 2000, Act 381, Eff. July 1, 2001
Am. 2002, Act 719, Eff. July 1, 2003
Am. 2004, Act 254, Imd. Eff. July 23, 2004
Popular Name: CCW
Popular Name: Concealed Weapons
Popular Name: CPL
Popular Name: Right to Carry
Popular Name: Shall Issue
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan