PROBATE CODE OF 1939 (EXCERPT)
Act 288 of 1939
710.23a Direct placement by parent or guardian of child for adoption; temporary placement; formal placement; selection by parent or guardian not delegated; information to be provided by prospective adoptive parent, adoption attorney, or child placing agency; placement of child with stepparent or relative; attendance of child at hearing.
(1) A parent or guardian having legal and physical custody of a child may make a direct placement of the child for adoption by making a temporary placement under section 23d of this chapter or a formal placement under section 51 of this chapter. A temporary placement becomes a formal placement when the court orders the termination of the rights of the parent or parents or the guardian and approves placement under section 51 of this chapter. A formal placement under section 51 of this chapter is not required to be preceded by a temporary placement.
(2) A parent or guardian shall personally select a prospective adoptive parent in a direct placement. The selection shall not be delegated.
(3) In a direct placement the prospective adoptive parent, an adoption attorney, or a child placing agency shall provide information about a prospective adoptive parent to the parent or guardian before placement. This information shall include the specific information contained in a preplacement assessment as described in section 23f of this chapter, and may include additional information requested by the parent or guardian. The information does not have to include identifying information described in section 27(3) of this chapter. The parent or guardian and the prospective adoptive parent shall determine whether to exchange identifying information and whether to meet each other.
(4) A parent or guardian having legal and physical custody of a child may make a formal placement of the child for adoption under section 51 of this chapter with a stepparent or a relative.
(5) The court may allow the child to attend his or her adoption hearing held under this act.
History: Add. 1994, Act 222, Eff. Jan. 1, 1995
Am. 1994, Act 373, Eff. Jan. 1, 1995
Am. 2004, Act 487, Imd. Eff. Dec. 28, 2004
Popular Name: Probate Code
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan