THE REVISED SCHOOL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 451 of 1976
380.1451 Public library; establishment; tax for support and maintenance; levy and collection; rate of tax authorized or voted; election.
(1) A school district, by a majority vote of the school electors at a regular or special school election, may establish a public library.
(2) The school electors of a school district in which a library is established may vote a district tax for the support of the public library at a regular or special school election of the district. The board of the school district may vote a tax for the maintenance and support of the public library.
(3) A tax authorized or voted under this part shall be levied and collected in the same manner as other school district taxes are levied and collected.
(4) The millage allowed under this section may be levied without a vote of the school electors of the school district until the millage authorization expires. The rate of a tax authorized or voted under this section shall not exceed the number of mills levied by the school district under this section in 1993 that were not included in the operating millage reported by the school district to the department as of April 1, 1993 or the number of mills levied by the school district under this section in 1993 that the school district does not want considered as operating millage reported by the school district as of April 1, 1994, whichever is greater.
(5) The board of a school district shall not hold an election to levy mills under this section after December 31, 1993.
History: 1976, Act 451, Imd. Eff. Jan. 13, 1977
Am. 1993, Act 312, Eff. Mar. 15, 1994
Am. 1994, Act 258, Imd. Eff. July 5, 1994
Am. 2003, Act 299, Eff. Jan. 1, 2005
Popular Name: Act 451
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan