LOW-LEVEL RADIOACTIVE WASTE AUTHORITY ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 204 of 1987
333.26208 Siting criteria advisory committee; establishment; independent entity; appointment, qualifications, and terms of members; powers of committee; vacancy; quorum; action by committee; staff and services; assistance to committee; meetings; notice; reimbursement for expenses.
(1) Within 30 days of the effective date of this act, the authority shall organize the establishment of a siting criteria advisory committee. The siting criteria advisory committee shall be formulated as an independent entity within the department of management and budget and shall consist of 5 individuals who shall be appointed by the authority. The members of the committee may be employed by a university or college in this state and shall by education and experience be knowledgeable in a technical specialty related to the siting of a low-level radioactive waste disposal site. The members may include a hydrogeologist, health physicist, radiological engineer, or other specialist meeting the requirements of this subsection.
(2) The members of the siting criteria advisory committee shall be appointed for a term determined by the authority that shall at a minimum enable the committee to have sufficient opportunity to formulate recommendations to the authority regarding the development of siting criteria for the disposal site and to fulfill the other responsibilities of the committee under this section.
(3) The siting criteria advisory committee may do any or all of the following:
(a) Recommend to the authority proposed siting criteria.
(b) Review existing and proposed federal and state laws and rules pertaining to site criteria.
(c) Review all of the technical information available to the committee and make recommendations regarding siting criteria.
(d) Attend any public hearing that may be scheduled by the authority that pertains to proposed siting criteria.
(e) Assist the authority in drafting responses to the comments of the department or any person regarding the final siting criteria adopted by the authority.
(f) Fulfill the responsibilities provided in this subsection in accordance with target dates established by the authority.
(4) If a vacancy occurs on the siting criteria advisory committee, an appointment shall be made for the unexpired term in the same manner as the original appointment.
(5) A majority of the members of the siting criteria advisory committee shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business at a meeting of the committee. Action by the committee shall be by a majority of the votes cast.
(6) The department of management and budget shall provide staff and services to the siting criteria advisory committee as are necessary to implement this act.
(7) The directors of the departments of natural resources, attorney general, management and budget, state police, and public health shall provide assistance to the siting criteria advisory committee upon the request of the committee.
(8) A meeting of the siting criteria advisory committee shall be held in compliance with the open meetings act, Act No. 267 of the Public Acts of 1976, being sections 15.261 to 15.275 of the Michigan Compiled Laws, and notice of the time, date, and place of the meeting shall be given in the manner required by that act.
(9) The siting criteria advisory committee shall meet immediately upon complete formation and then shall meet each month or more frequently as considered necessary by the members of the committee.
(10) A member of the siting criteria advisory committee shall not receive compensation for his or her service, but shall be reimbursed for expenses that are necessarily incurred in the performance of duties as a member of the committee.
History: 1987, Act 204, Imd. Eff. Dec. 22, 1987
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan