STATE PLUMBING ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 733 of 2002
***** 338.3525 THIS SECTION IS REPEALED BY ACT 407 OF 2016 EFFECTIVE APRIL 4, 2017 *****
338.3525 Plumbing; license required; exceptions.
(1) A person shall not engage in or work at the business of a plumbing contractor, master plumber, journey plumber, or apprentice plumber unless licensed or registered by the department. Except as provided in subsections (2), (3), (4), and (5), plumbing shall be performed by a licensed master or journey plumber. A licensed master plumber shall be in charge and responsible for proper installation and conformance with the code. Plumbing shall not be performed unless the plumbing contractor who is responsible has secured a permit from the state or a governmental subdivision authorized to issue permits.
(2) A license is not required for the following work:
(a) Minor repair work.
(b) The installation of a building sewer or water service pipe provided that a permit is secured from the responsible enforcing agency and inspections are performed. The installations shall comply with the applicable code.
(c) The installation of domestic water treatment and filtering equipment that requires modification to an existing cold water distribution supply and associated waste piping in buildings if a permit is secured, required inspections performed, and the installation complies with the applicable code. If the enforcing agency determines a violation exists, it shall be corrected by the responsible installer.
(3) A homeowner may install his or her own plumbing, building sewer, or private sewer in his or her single-family dwelling if a permit is secured.
(4) The installation of medical gas piping providing the installation shall be performed under the supervision of a licensed plumbing contractor.
(5) This act does not prevent a person from performing any activities within the scope of licensure or registration under any other licensure or registration act or applicable codes for that licensed or registered professional adopted pursuant to law.
History: 2002, Act 733, Eff. Mar. 31, 2003
© 2015 Legislative Council, State of Michigan