MICHIGAN CAMPAIGN FINANCE ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 388 of 1976
169.244 Prohibited contributions or expenditures; delivery or return of contribution; joint fund-raiser; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
(1) A contribution shall not be made by a person to another person with the agreement or arrangement that the person receiving the contribution will then transfer that contribution to a particular candidate committee.
(2) A candidate committee shall not make a contribution to or an independent expenditure in behalf of another candidate committee. This subsection does not prohibit the purchase of tickets to another candidate committee's fund-raising event that does not exceed $100.00 per candidate committee in any calendar year.
(3) An individual, other than a committee treasurer or the individual designated as responsible for the record keeping, report preparation, or report filing for a committee, who obtains possession of a committee's contribution for the purpose of delivering the contribution to another committee shall deliver the contribution to that committee, that committee's treasurer, or that committee's agent, or return the contribution to the payor, not later than 10 business days after obtaining possession of the contribution.
(4) Two or more persons, other than individuals, may hold a joint fund-raiser if the receipts and expenses of the fund-raiser are shared proportionately.
(5) A person who knowingly violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not more than $1,000.00, or imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or both.
History: 1976, Act 388, Eff. June 1, 1977
Am. 1989, Act 95, Imd. Eff. June 21, 1989
Am. 1994, Act 411, Imd. Eff. Dec. 29, 1994
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan