DOWNTOWN DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY (EXCERPT)
Act 197 of 1975
125.1663a Borrowing money; issuing revenue bonds or notes; purpose; costs; security; pledge and lien of pledge valid and binding; filing or recordation not required; tax exemption; bonds or notes neither liability nor debt of municipality; statement; investment and deposit of bonds and notes.
(1) The authority may with approval of the local governing body borrow money and issue its revenue bonds or notes to finance all or part of the costs of acquiring or constructing property in connection with the implementation of a development plan in the downtown district or to refund or refund in advance bonds or notes issued pursuant to this section. The costs which may be financed by the issuance of revenue bonds or notes may include the cost of purchasing, acquiring, constructing, improving, enlarging, extending, or repairing property in connection with the implementation of a development plan in the downtown district; any engineering, architectural, legal, accounting, or financial expenses; the costs necessary or incidental to the borrowing of money; interest on the bonds or notes during the period of construction; a reserve for payment of principal and interest on the bonds or notes; and a reserve for operation and maintenance until sufficient revenues have developed. The authority may secure the bonds and notes by mortgage, assignment, or pledge of the property and any money, revenues, or income received in connection therewith.
(2) A pledge made by the authority shall be valid and binding from the time the pledge is made. The money or property pledged by the authority immediately shall be subject to the lien of the pledge without a physical delivery, filing, or further act. The lien of such a pledge shall be valid and binding as against parties having claims of any kind in tort, contract, or otherwise, against the authority, irrespective of whether the parties have notice of the lien. Neither the resolution, the trust agreement, nor any other instrument by which a pledge is created need be filed or recorded.
(3) Bonds or notes issued pursuant to this section shall be exempt from all taxation in this state except inheritance and transfer taxes, and the interest on the bonds or notes shall be exempt from all taxation in this state, notwithstanding that the interest may be subject to federal income tax.
(4) The municipality shall not be liable on bonds or notes of the authority issued pursuant to this section and the bonds or notes shall not be a debt of the municipality. The bonds or notes shall contain on their face a statement to that effect.
(5) The bonds and notes of the authority may be invested in by all public officers, state agencies and political subdivisions, insurance companies, banks, savings and loan associations, investment companies, and fiduciaries and trustees, and may be deposited with and received by all public officers and the agencies and political subdivisions of this state for any purpose for which the deposit of bonds is authorized.
History: Add. 1981, Act 151, Imd. Eff. Nov. 19, 1981
Popular Name: DDA
Popular Name: Downtown Development Authority Act
© 2015 Legislative Council, State of Michigan