TRANSPORTATION ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT FUND (EXCERPT)
Act 231 of 1987
247.911 Bonds; appropriation of fund revenue; percentages; matching federal-aid highway funds; obligation authority for federal funds; distribution.
(1) Bonds may be issued as authorized by the commission for the purpose of funding projects under this act in the manner provided in sections 18b and 18k of 1951 PA 51, MCL 247.668b and 247.668k, and in accordance with the adopted policies of the commission. Bonds shall not be committed for any project under this act until the requirements under section 3(1) have been satisfied.
(2) After the payment of interest and principal on bonds issued under this act and the appropriation for costs of administration of the fund as provided under this act, fund revenue shall be annually appropriated as follows:
(a) The first $5,000,000.00 for a forest roads program. Forest roads program funds shall be distributed each fiscal year to each qualified county in a percentage amount equal to the same percentage amount that the number of acres of commercial forest, national park, and national lakeshore land in each qualified county bears to the total number of acres of commercial forest, national park, and national lakeshore land in all qualified counties in this state. Revenue distributed under this subdivision shall be used for the construction or reconstruction of roads.
(b) The next $2,500,000.00 of the fund shall be distributed each fiscal year for improvements to roads and streets that are eligible for federal aid in cities and villages having a population of 5,000 or greater within rural counties.
(3) Of the balance remaining after funding projects pursuant to subsection (2), projects shall be funded in the categories described in section 9 based on the following percentages:
(a) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (4), 50% for economic development road projects in any of the targeted industries.
(b) 25% for projects to reduce congestion on county primary and city major streets within urban counties including advanced traffic management systems. The funds shall be distributed to counties with populations in excess of 400,000 in accordance with the following formula:
|| Percentage of Funds
|| 1,750,000 or more
|| 1,000,000 to 1,749,999
|| 650,001 to 999,999
|| 400,000 to 650,000
When 2 or more counties occupy the same category, the funds shall be divided equally.
Projects funded under this category shall be used for the widening of county primary roads or city major streets or for advanced traffic management systems in eligible counties.
(c) 25% for development projects within rural counties. These revenues shall be distributed for the improvement of rural primary roads in rural counties and major streets in cities and villages with a population of 5,000 or less. Funds distributed under this subdivision shall be allocated by the commission to the regional rural task force areas defined in section 12a in the same proportion that the rural primary mileage of the regional rural task force area bears to the total rural primary mileage of all counties. Each rural county shall be credited with an allocation in the proportion that the county's rural primary mileage is to the total rural primary mileage of those rural counties within the same regional rural task force area. Projects funded under this subdivision shall be limited to upgrading rural primary roads and major streets to create an all-season road network.
(4) For the fiscal years ending September 30, 2011, September 30, 2012, and September 30, 2013 only, there is appropriated $12,000,000.00 from the fund for credit to the state trunk line fund established in section 11 of 1951 PA 51, MCL 247.661, for the purposes of matching available federal-aid highway funds, and the distribution to targeted industries under subsection (3)(a) shall be reduced accordingly.
(5) The obligation authority for any federal funds allocated under section 10 of 1951 PA 51, MCL 247.660, shall be distributed equally among urban task forces and regional rural task forces according to the distribution formula outlined in subsection (3)(b) and (c). An additional 1.5% of the obligation authority for federal funds identified in section 10 of 1951 PA 51, MCL 247.660, shall be distributed among the regional rural task forces according to the distribution formula outlined in subsection (3)(c). These funds shall be obligated and used consistent with section 10 of 1951 PA 51, MCL 247.660.
History: 1987, Act 231, Imd. Eff. Dec. 28, 1987
Am. 1989, Act 218, Imd. Eff. Dec. 1, 1989
Am. 1991, Act 188, Imd. Eff. Dec. 27, 1991
Am. 1993, Act 149, Imd. Eff. Aug. 19, 1993
Am. 2007, Act 168, Imd. Eff. Dec. 21, 2007
Am. 2008, Act 364, Imd. Eff. Dec. 23, 2008
Am. 2009, Act 136, Imd. Eff. Nov. 4, 2009
Am. 2011, Act 145, Imd. Eff. Sept. 21, 2011
Am. 2012, Act 621, Imd. Eff. Jan. 9, 2013
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan