ADMINISTRATIVE PROCEDURES ACT OF 1969 (EXCERPT)
Act 306 of 1969
24.239 Request for rule-making.
(1) Before initiating any changes or additions to rules, an agency shall electronically file with the office of regulatory reinvention a request for rule-making in a format prescribed by the office of regulatory reinvention. The request for rule-making shall include the following:
(a) The state or federal statutory or regulatory basis for the rule.
(b) The problem the rule intends to address.
(c) An assessment of the significance of the problem.
(d) If applicable, the decision record.
(2) If an agency receives recommendations or comments by any advisory committee or other advisory entity created by statute regarding a request for rule-making, the advisory committee or entity shall issue to the agency a decision record.
(3) An agency shall not proceed with the processing of a rule outlined in this chapter unless the office of regulatory reinvention has approved the request for rule-making. The office of regulatory reinvention is not required to approve a request for rule-making and shall do so only after it has indicated in its response to the request for rule-making submitted by an agency that there are appropriate and necessary policy and legal bases for approving the request for rule-making.
(4) The office of regulatory reinvention shall record the receipt of all requests for rule-making on the internet and shall make electronic or paper copies of approved requests for rule-making available to members of the general public. The office of regulatory reinvention shall issue a written or electronic response to the request for rule-making that specifically addresses whether the request has appropriate and necessary policy and legal bases for approving the request for rule-making.
(5) The office of regulatory reinvention shall immediately make available to the committee electronic copies of the request for rule-making submitted to the office of regulatory reinvention. On a weekly basis, the office of regulatory reinvention shall electronically provide to the committee a listing of all requests for rule-making approved or denied during the previous week. The committee shall electronically provide a copy of the approved and denied requests for rule-making, not later than the next business day after receipt of the notice from the office of regulatory reinvention, to members of the committee and to members of the standing committees of the senate and house of representatives that deal with the subject matter of the proposed rule.
History: Add. 1999, Act 262, Eff. Apr. 1, 2000
Am. 2004, Act 23, Imd. Eff. Mar. 10, 2004
Am. 2011, Act 239, Imd. Eff. Dec. 1, 2011
Popular Name: Act 306
Popular Name: APA
© 2015 Legislative Council, State of Michigan