UNIFORM BUDGETING AND ACCOUNTING ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 2 of 1968
141.421 Uniform charts of accounts for local units; design; conformity to uniform standards; maintenance of local unit accounts; publication of standard operating procedures and forms; assistance, advice, or instruction; inadequacy of local unit; report; services of certified public accountant or state treasurer; expenses; payment; contract; monthly billings.
(1) The state treasurer shall prescribe uniform charts of accounts for all local units of similar size, function, or service designed to fulfill the requirements of good accounting practices relating to general government. Such chart of accounts shall conform as nearly as practicable to the uniform standards as set forth by the governmental accounting standards board or by a successor organization that establishes national generally accepted accounting standards and is determined acceptable to the state treasurer. The official who by law or charter is charged with the responsibility for the financial affairs of the local unit shall insure that the local unit accounts are maintained and kept in accordance with the chart of accounts. The state treasurer may also publish standard operating procedures and forms for the guidance of local units in establishing and maintaining uniform accounting.
(2) A local unit may request the state treasurer to provide assistance, advice, or instruction in establishing or maintaining the uniform chart of accounts required by subsection (1).
(3) The state treasurer may provide assistance, advice, or instruction to a local unit to establish or maintain the uniform chart of accounts required by subsection (1) based on information from 1 or more of the following sources:
(a) Disclosure by the certified public accountant or the department of treasury in an audit report required by section 5 or 6 that the local unit has failed to establish or maintain the uniform chart of accounts required by subsection (1).
(b) Disclosure by the department of treasury in a special examination report that the local unit has failed to establish or maintain the uniform chart of accounts required by subsection (1).
(c) Disclosure in an audit report issued under section 5 or 6 that the records of the local unit are not auditable because the local unit has failed to establish or maintain the uniform chart of accounts required by subsection (1).
(d) Disclosure from another state agency.
(e) Department of treasury records indicate that the audit required under section 5 has not been performed or filed and is delinquent, and that the local unit is subject to the provisions of section 21 of the Glenn Steil state revenue sharing act of 1971, 1971 PA 140, MCL 141.921.
(4) The state treasurer, in performing the services under subsection (2) or (3), may make a determination that the local unit cannot adequately establish or maintain the uniform chart of accounts without additional assistance, advice, or instruction from the state treasurer. The state treasurer shall submit a written report of the findings and recommendations to the governing body of the local unit. The local unit shall retain, within 90 days after receipt of this report, the services of a certified public accountant or the state treasurer to perform the needed additional services and shall notify, by resolution of the governing body, the state treasurer of such action. Upon failure of the local unit to respond within the 90-day period, the state treasurer shall perform the necessary services to adequately establish or maintain the uniform chart of accounts.
(5) The state treasurer shall charge reasonable and necessary expenses, including per diem and travel expenses, to the local unit for services performed pursuant to subsections (2), (3), and (4), and the local unit shall make payment to the state treasurer for these expenses. The state treasurer shall execute a contract with the local unit or provide monthly billings if a contract is not executed.
History: 1968, Act 2, Imd. Eff. Feb. 20, 1968
Am. 1982, Act 451, Imd. Eff. Dec. 30, 1982
Am. 2000, Act 493, Imd. Eff. Jan. 11, 2001
© 2015 Legislative Council, State of Michigan