PUBLIC HEALTH CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 368 of 1978
***** 333.16621.amended THIS AMENDED SECTION IS EFFECTIVE MARCH 27, 2019 *****
333.16621.amended Michigan board of dentistry; creation; appointment and qualifications of members; meetings; voting.
(1) The Michigan board of dentistry is created in the department. Subject to subsection (2), the board consists of the following 20 voting members, each of whom must meet the requirements of part 161:
(a) Nine dentists. Subject to subsection (4), 1 or more of the dentists appointed under this subdivision may have a health profession specialty certification issued under section 16608.
(b) Subject to subsection (4), 2 dentists who have been issued a health profession specialty certification under section 16608.
(c) Four dental hygienists.
(d) Two dental assistants.
(e) Three public members.
(2) Beginning 5 years after the effective date of the 2018 amendatory act that amended this subsection, the board must include 1 dental therapist, bringing the total number of voting members on the board to 21. The dental therapists appointed under this subsection must each meet the requirements of part 161.
(3) The board meeting dates and times must be concurred in by a vote of not less than 13 board members.
(4) One member of the board shall be a dentist who is a dental school faculty member.
(5) A board member who is licensed to practice as a dental hygienist, a dental assistant, or a dental therapist votes as an equal member of the board in all matters except those designated in section 16148(1) or (2) that apply only to dentists and not to dental hygienists, dental assistants, or dental therapists.
History: 1978, Act 368, Eff. Sept. 30, 1978
Am. 1998, Act 436, Imd. Eff. Dec. 30, 1998
Am. 2000, Act 160, Imd. Eff. June 14, 2000
Am. 2002, Act 590, Imd. Eff. Oct. 17, 2002
Am. 2018, Act 463, Eff. Mar. 27, 2019
Popular Name: Act 368
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan