PUBLIC HEALTH CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 368 of 1978
333.5721 Birth defects; reports; records; confidentiality; rules; submission to medical examination or supervision not required; contract for collection and analysis of data; evaluation of information reported to birth defects registry; public reports.
(1) Each diagnosed incidence of a birth defect, including a congenital or structural malformation, or a biochemical or genetic disease, and any information relevant to incidents of birth defects, shall be reported to the department. The reporting shall begin not later than the next calendar year after June 11, 1987.
(2) The department shall maintain comprehensive statewide records of all information reported to the birth defects registry. The information reported shall be subject to the same requirements of confidentiality as provided in section 2631 for data or records concerning medical research projects.
(3) The director shall promulgate rules which provide for all of the following:
(a) A list of birth defects, including, but not limited to, congenital and structural malformations, and biochemical or genetic diseases, and other relevant information to be reported.
(b) The quality and manner in which the incidents of birth defects and other information is to be reported.
(c) The terms and conditions under which records maintained under this section, including any records containing the name and medical condition of a specific individual, may be released by the department.
(4) This section does not compel an individual to submit to medical examination or supervision by the department or otherwise.
(5) The department may contract for the collection and analysis of, and research related to, the data required under this section.
(6) Within 2 years after June 11, 1987, the department shall begin evaluating the information reported to the birth defects registry. The department shall publish and make available to the public reports summarizing the information collected. The first summary report shall be published not later than 180 days after the end of the first 2 full calendar years after June 11, 1987. Subsequent annual summary reports shall be made on a full calendar year basis and published not later than 180 days after the end of each calendar year.
History: Add. 1987, Act 48, Imd. Eff. June 11, 1987
Am. 1988, Act 236, Eff. Oct. 1, 1988
Popular Name: Act 368
© 2015 Legislative Council, State of Michigan