MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 300 of 1949
257.601a Private road open to general public; contract; enforcement of act; cost and posting of signs; contracts not affected; "private road that is open to the general public" defined.
(1) A county, city, township, or village may contract with a person who owns or is in charge of a private road that is open to the general public, at that person's request or with that person's consent, to enforce provisions of this act on that private road.
(2) Subject to subsection (1) and section 906, a peace officer may enter upon a private road that is open to the general public to enforce provisions of this act if signs meeting the requirements of the Michigan manual of uniform traffic control devices are posted on the private road.
(3) The owner or person in charge of a private road open to the general public who enters into a contract as described in subsection (1) is responsible for the cost and the posting of signs described in subsection (2).
(4) This section does not affect a contract entered into between a county, city, township, or village and the person who owns or is in charge of a private road open to the general public before December 29, 2006.
(5) As used in this section, "private road that is open to the general public" does not include a road that is under the control of a mobility research center, regardless of whether a private research entity or a corporation is using the road under an agreement with the mobility research center.
History: Add. 2006, Act 549, Imd. Eff. Dec. 29, 2006
Am. 2011, Act 115, Imd. Eff. July 20, 2011
Am. 2016, Act 334, Imd. Eff. Dec. 9, 2016
Compiler's Notes: Former MCL 257.601a, which pertained to certain vehicle owned and operated by state and local authorities and vehicles transporting hazardous materials, was repealed by Act 248 of 1995, Imd. Eff. Dec. 27, 1995.
© 2015 Legislative Council, State of Michigan