STATE PLUMBING ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 733 of 2002
***** 338.3531 THIS SECTION IS REPEALED BY ACT 407 OF 2016 EFFECTIVE APRIL 4, 2017 *****
338.3531 Plumbing contractor's license; issuance; conditions; requirements.
(1) To qualify for a plumbing contractor license, the applicant must either hold a master plumber license or employ the holder of a master plumber license as his or her representative. Only an owner of a sole proprietorship or partnership, or an officer of a corporation or limited liability company, may apply for licensure as a plumbing contractor.
(2) The department shall issue a plumbing contractor's license to a person who does all of the following:
(a) Files a completed application on a form provided by the department that includes the following information:
(i) A statement listing the complete address of each place where the applicant has resided and has been engaged in business during the last 5 years including the length of residences and types of businesses engaged in or employments.
(ii) The name of the applicant, the name of the business, and the location of the place for which the license is desired.
(iii) The name of the business owner or president of the corporation and the name of the applicant, if different from the name of the business owner or president, and his or her title.
(iv) The name, residence address, and license number of the licensed master plumber who represents the person.
(b) Pays the examination fee prescribed in section 31 and passes an examination provided for by the board and the department.
(c) Pays the license fee prescribed in section 31.
(3) A licensed plumbing contractor may operate 1 or more branch offices in this state bearing the same firm name if a licensed master plumber is in charge and has the responsibility of supervision at each branch.
(4) If a license is issued to a plumbing contractor represented by a master plumber, the plumbing contractor and the master plumber are jointly and severally responsible for exercising the supervision or control of the plumbing operations necessary to secure full compliance with this act, the rules promulgated under this act, and all other laws and rules related to the installation of plumbing.
(5) Both a person other than a plumbing contractor and the master plumber are jointly and severally responsible for exercising the supervision or control of the plumbing operations necessary to secure full compliance with this act, the rules promulgated under this act, and all other laws and rules related to the installation of plumbing.
(6) If a plumbing contractor is represented by a licensed master plumber who ceases to represent the plumbing contractor, the plumbing contractor has 30 days thereafter in which to designate another licensed master plumber as the representative of the plumbing contractor. The plumbing contractor shall notify the department in writing of the change.
(7) A licensed plumbing contractor shall display in a conspicuous place at the entrance of the place of business a sign bearing the company name and the name of the licensed master plumber and license number in letters not less than 3 inches high.
History: 2002, Act 733, Eff. Mar. 31, 2003
Am. 2010, Act 150, Imd. Eff. Aug. 23, 2010
© 2015 Legislative Council, State of Michigan