REVISED JUDICATURE ACT OF 1961 (EXCERPT)
Act 236 of 1961
600.2529 Fees paid to clerk of circuit court; payment in full; payment of fees to county treasurer; deposit and use to fund certain services; waiving or suspending fees; affidavit of indigency or inability to pay; court order to pay all or part of fee to other party.
(1) In the circuit court, the following fees shall be paid to the clerk of the court:
(a) Before a civil action other than an action brought exclusively under section 2950, 2950a, or 2950h to 2950m is commenced, or before the filing of an application for superintending control or for an extraordinary writ, except a writ of habeas corpus, the party bringing the action or filing the application shall pay $150.00. The clerk at the end of each month shall transmit for each fee collected under this subdivision within the month $31.00 to the county treasurer and the balance of the filing fee to the state treasurer for deposit in the civil filing fee fund created in section 171.
(b) Before the filing of a claim of appeal or motion for leave to appeal from the district court, probate court, a municipal court, or an administrative tribunal or agency, the appellant or moving party shall pay $150.00. For each fee collected under this subdivision, the clerk shall transmit $31.00 to the county treasurer and the balance of the fee to the state treasurer for deposit in the civil filing fee fund created in section 171.
(c) At the time a trial by jury is demanded, the party making the demand shall pay $85.00. Failure to pay the fee at the time the demand is made constitutes a waiver of the right to a jury trial. The fee paid shall be taxed in favor of the party paying it if the party recovers a judgment for costs. For each fee collected under this subdivision, the clerk shall transmit $25.00 to the state treasurer for deposit in the juror compensation reimbursement fund created in section 151d.
(d) Before entry of a final judgment or order in an action in which the custody, support, or parenting time of minor children is determined or modified, the party submitting the judgment or order shall pay 1 of the following fees:
(i) In an action in which the custody or parenting time of minor children is determined, $80.00.
(ii) In an action in which the support of minor children is determined or modified, $40.00. This fee does not apply when a fee is paid under subparagraph (i).
(e) Except as otherwise provided in this section, upon the filing of a motion, the moving party shall pay $20.00. In conjunction with an action brought under section 2950 or 2950a, a motion fee shall not be collected for a motion to dismiss the petition, a motion to modify, rescind, or terminate a personal protection order, or a motion to show cause for a violation of a personal protection order. A motion fee shall not be collected for a motion to dismiss a proceeding to enforce a foreign protection order or a motion to show cause for a violation of a foreign protection order under sections 2950h to 2950m. A motion fee shall not be collected for a request for a hearing to contest income withholding under section 7 of the support and parenting time enforcement act, 1982 PA 295, MCL 552.607. For each fee collected under this subdivision, the clerk shall transmit $10.00 to the state treasurer for deposit in the state court fund created by section 151a.
(f) For services under the direction of the court that are not specifically provided for in this section related to receiving, safekeeping, or expending money, purchasing, taking, or transferring a security, or collecting interest on a security, a party shall pay the allowance and compensation that the court determines to be just as ordered by the court after notice to the parties.
(g) Upon appeal to the court of appeals or the supreme court, the appellant shall pay $25.00.
(h) The applicant or requesting party shall pay $15.00 as a service fee for each writ of garnishment, attachment, or execution and each judgment debtor discovery subpoena issued.
(2) The fees paid as provided in this section are payment in full for all clerk, entry, and judgment fees in an action from the commencement of the action to and including the issuance and return of the execution or other final process, and are taxable as costs.
(3) Except as otherwise provided in this section, the fees paid under this section shall be paid to the county treasurer as required by law.
(4) At the end of each month, each fee collected under subsection (1)(d)(i) shall be paid to the county treasurer and deposited by the county treasurer as provided under section 2530 to be used to fund services that are not title IV-D services. The fee collected under subsection (1)(d)(ii) shall be paid to the county treasurer and deposited by the county treasurer as provided under section 2530.
(5) The court shall order any of the fees prescribed in this section waived or suspended, in whole or in part, upon a showing by affidavit of indigency or inability to pay.
(6) If the person filing an action described in subsection (1)(d) is a public officer acting in his or her official capacity, if the final judgment or order is submitted with the initial filing as a consent judgment or order, or other good cause is shown, the court shall order the fee under subsection (1)(d) waived or suspended. If a fee is waived or suspended and the action is contested, the court may require that 1 or more of the parties to the action pay the fee under subsection (1)(d).
(7) The court may order a party to pay the other party all or part of a fee paid by the other party under subsection (1)(d).
History: Add. 1963, Act 218, Eff. Sept. 6, 1963
Am. 1964, Act 21, Eff. Aug. 28, 1964
Am. 1966, Act 20, Eff. Jan. 1, 1967
Am. 1967, Act 278, Eff. Nov. 2, 1967
Am. 1970, Act 248, Eff. Jan. 1, 1971
Am. 1977, Act 279, Eff. Mar. 30, 1978
Am. 1982, Act 297, Eff. July 1, 1983
Am. 1982, Act 511, Eff. Jan. 1, 1983
Am. 1988, Act 310, Eff. Jan. 1, 1989
Am. 1992, Act 233, Eff. Mar. 31, 1993
Am. 1992, Act 292, Imd. Eff. Dec. 18, 1992
Am. 1993, Act 189, Eff. Oct. 8, 1993
Am. 1994, Act 403, Eff. Apr. 1, 1995
Am. 1999, Act 268, Eff. July 1, 2000
Am. 2001, Act 202, Eff. Apr. 1, 2002
Am. 2002, Act 605, Eff. Jan. 1, 2003
Am. 2003, Act 138, Eff. Oct. 1, 2003
Am. 2003, Act 178, Eff. Oct. 1, 2003
Am. 2004, Act 205, Eff. Oct. 1, 2004
Am. 2009, Act 239, Imd. Eff. Jan. 8, 2010
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan