MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 300 of 1949
257.207 Administering oaths and acknowledging signatures without fee; certified copy of record; fee; evidence; electronic certification; use of computer-generated certified information.
(1) An officer or employee designated by the secretary of state for the purpose of administering the motor vehicle laws shall administer oaths and acknowledge signatures without fee.
(2) The secretary of state and the officers designated by the secretary of state may prepare under the seal of the secretary of state and deliver upon request, a certified copy of a record maintained under this act and charge a fee as set forth in this act.
(3) A certified computer-generated or paper copy of a record maintained under this act shall be admissible in a proceeding in a court in the same manner as the original record and shall be prima facie evidence of the contents of and the facts stated on the record.
(4) An order, record, or paper generated by the computerized central file of the secretary of state may be certified electronically by the generating computer. The certification shall be a certification of the order, record, or paper as it appeared on a specific date.
(5) A court or the office of the clerk of a court of this state that is electronically connected by a terminal device to the computerized central file of the secretary of state may receive into and use as evidence in any case the computer-generated certified information obtained by the terminal device from the file. A duly authorized employee of a court of record of this state may order a record for an individual from a secretary of state computer terminal device located in, and under the control of, the court, and certify in writing that the document was produced from the terminal and that the document was not altered in any way.
History: 1949, Act 300, Eff. Sept. 23, 1949
Am. 1968, Act 278, Imd. Eff. July 1, 1968
Am. 1980, Act 398, Eff. Mar. 31, 1981
Am. 1996, Act 102, Imd. Eff. Mar. 5, 1996
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan