PUBLIC HEALTH CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 368 of 1978
333.13817 Medical waste management plan; contents; compliance; update; availability.
(1) The medical waste management plan required in section 13813 shall contain information relating to the handling of all medical waste generated, stored, decontaminated, or incinerated at each producing facility or transported from the producing facility for handling by another facility for storage, decontamination, incineration, or for disposal in a sanitary landfill, cemetery, or other disposal site. A professional corporation may identify and prepare a common medical waste management plan for all producing facilities owned and operated by the corporation. The medical waste management plan shall describe each of the following, to the extent the information is applicable to the producing facility:
(a) The types of medical waste handled.
(b) The segregation, packaging, labeling, and collection procedures used.
(c) The use and methods of on-site or off-site storage.
(d) The use and methods of on-site or off-site decontamination.
(e) The use of on-site or off-site incineration.
(f) The corporate or other legally recognized business name of solid waste haulers who transport medical waste for the producing facility.
(g) The use of sanitary landfills, cemeteries, and other disposal sites.
(h) The measures to minimize exposure of the facility's employees to infectious agents throughout the process of handling and disposing of the medical waste, including, where applicable, the use of protocols, procedures and training, personal protective devices and clothing, physical containment or isolation devices or systems, and prevention or control of aerosols.
(i) The name of the individual responsible for the management of the medical waste.
(2) A medical waste management plan shall comply with the requirements of this act.
(3) A producing facility shall update a medical waste management plan each time there is a change in either of the following, within 30 days after the change occurs:
(a) A person or site named in the plan.
(b) The types of medical waste handled or the methods of handling medical waste at the facility.
(4) Upon request, a producing facility shall make its medical waste management plan available to the department pursuant to a routine or unannounced inspection or the investigation of a complaint.
(5) Upon receipt of 24 hours' advance notice, a producing facility shall make its medical waste management plan available to an employee of the producing facility for inspection on the premises or provide a copy of the medical waste management plan to the employee.
(6) A producing facility shall comply with its medical waste management plan.
History: Add. 1990, Act 18, Eff. May 31, 1990
Popular Name: Act 368
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan