THE STATE SCHOOL AID ACT OF 1979 (EXCERPT)
Act 94 of 1979
388.1836 Higher education; appropriations; summary.
(1) Subject to the conditions set forth in this article, the amounts listed in this section are appropriated for higher education for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2017, from the funds indicated in this section. The following is a summary of the appropriations in this section:
(a) The gross appropriation is $1,582,640,400.00. After deducting total interdepartmental grants and intradepartmental transfers in the amount of $0.00, the adjusted gross appropriation is $1,582,640,400.00.
(b) The sources of the adjusted gross appropriation described in subdivision (a) are as follows:
(i) Total federal revenues, $101,526,400.00.
(ii) Total local revenues, $0.00.
(iii) Total private revenues, $0.00.
(iv) Total other state restricted revenues, $237,209,500.00.
(v) State general fund/general purpose money, $1,243,904,500.00.
(2) Amounts appropriated for public universities are as follows:
(a) The appropriation for Central Michigan University is $83,925,500.00, $81,127,100.00 for operations and $2,798,400.00 for performance funding.
(b) The appropriation for Eastern Michigan University is $73,593,800.00, $71,782,500.00 for operations and $1,811,300.00 for performance funding.
(c) The appropriation for Ferris State University is $52,259,900.00, $50,369,800.00 for operations and $1,890,100.00 for performance funding.
(d) The appropriation for Grand Valley State University is $68,227,900.00, $65,275,700.00 for operations and $2,952,200.00 for performance funding.
(e) The appropriation for Lake Superior State University is $13,567,400.00, $13,207,400.00 for operations and $360,000.00 for performance funding.
(f) The appropriation for Michigan State University is $337,777,800.00, $268,770,700.00 for operations, $7,091,400.00 for performance funding, $33,243,100.00 for MSU AgBioResearch, and $28,672,600.00 for MSU Extension.
(g) The appropriation for Michigan Technological University is $48,097,500.00, $46,754,700.00 for operations and $1,342,800.00 for performance funding.
(h) The appropriation for Northern Michigan University is $46,279,200.00, $45,107,700.00 for operations and $1,171,500.00 for performance funding.
(i) The appropriation for Oakland University is $49,920,700.00, $48,371,900.00 for operations and $1,548,800.00 for performance funding.
(j) The appropriation for Saginaw Valley State University is $29,114,000.00, $28,181,200.00 for operations and $932,800.00 for performance funding.
(k) The appropriation for University of Michigan – Ann Arbor is $308,639,000.00, $299,975,000.00 for operations and $8,664,000.00 for performance funding.
(l) The appropriation for University of Michigan – Dearborn is $24,803,300.00, $24,033,100.00 for operations and $770,200.00 for performance funding.
(m) The appropriation for University of Michigan – Flint is $22,549,300.00, $21,815,400.00 for operations and $733,900.00 for performance funding.
(n) The appropriation for Wayne State University is $196,064,500.00, $191,451,300.00 for operations and $4,613,200.00 for performance funding.
(o) The appropriation for Western Michigan University is $107,440,900.00, $104,334,100.00 for operations and $3,106,800.00 for performance funding.
(3) The amount appropriated in subsection (2) for public universities is appropriated from the following:
(a) State school aid fund, $231,219,500.00.
(b) State general fund/general purpose money, $1,231,041,200.00.
(4) The amount appropriated for Michigan public school employees' retirement system reimbursement is $5,890,000.00, appropriated from the state school aid fund.
(5) The amount appropriated for state and regional programs is $315,000.00, appropriated from general fund/general purpose money and allocated as follows:
(a) Higher education database modernization and conversion, $200,000.00.
(b) Midwestern Higher Education Compact, $115,000.00.
(6) The amount appropriated for the Martin Luther King, Jr. - Cesar Chavez - Rosa Parks program is $2,691,500.00, appropriated from general fund/general purpose money and allocated as follows:
(a) Select student support services, $1,956,100.00.
(b) Michigan college/university partnership program, $586,800.00.
(c) Morris Hood, Jr. educator development program, $148,600.00.
(7) Subject to subsection (8), the amount appropriated for grants and financial aid is $110,983,200.00, allocated as follows:
(a) State competitive scholarships, $18,361,700.00.
(b) Tuition grants, $35,021,500.00.
(c) Tuition incentive program, $53,000,000.00.
(d) Children of veterans and officer's survivor tuition grant programs, $1,400,000.00.
(e) Project GEAR-UP, $3,200,000.00.
(8) The money appropriated in subsection (7) for grants and financial aid is appropriated from the following:
(a) Federal revenues under the United States Department of Education, Office of Elementary and Secondary Education, GEAR-UP program, $3,200,000.00.
(b) Federal revenues under the social security act, temporary assistance for needy families, $98,326,400.00.
(c) Contributions to children of veterans tuition grant program, $100,000.00.
(d) State general fund/general purpose money, $9,356,800.00.
(9) For fiscal year 2016-2017 only, $500,000.00 is appropriated for the Michigan State University Diagnostic Center for Population and Animal Health, appropriated from state general fund/general purpose money.
History: Add. 2011, Act 62, Eff. Oct. 1, 2011
Am. 2012, Act 201, Eff. Oct. 1, 2012
Am. 2013, Act 60, Eff. Oct. 1, 2013
Am. 2014, Act 196, Eff. Oct. 1, 2014
Am. 2015, Act 5, Imd. Eff. Mar. 10, 2015
Am. 2015, Act 85, Eff. Oct. 1, 2015
Am. 2016, Act 249, Eff. Oct. 1, 2016
© 2015 Legislative Council, State of Michigan