Act 372 of 1927
28.425e Database; annual report.
(1) The department of state police shall create and maintain a computerized database of individuals who apply under this act for a license to carry a concealed pistol. The database shall contain only the following information as to each individual:
(a) The individual's name, date of birth, address, county of residence, and state-issued driver license or personal identification card number.
(b) If the individual is licensed to carry a concealed pistol in this state, the license number and date of expiration.
(c) Except as provided in subsection (2), if the individual was denied a license to carry a concealed pistol after July 1, 2001 or issued a notice of statutory disqualification, a statement of the reasons for that denial or notice of statutory disqualification.
(d) A statement of all criminal charges pending and criminal convictions obtained against the individual during the license period.
(e) A statement of all determinations of responsibility for civil infractions of this act pending or obtained against the individual during the license period.
(f) The status of the individual's application or license.
(2) If an individual who was denied a license to carry a concealed pistol after July 1, 2001 or issued a notice of statutory disqualification is subsequently issued a license to carry a concealed pistol, the department of state police shall delete from the computerized database the previous reasons for the denial or notice of statutory disqualification.
(3) The department of state police shall enter the information described in subsection (1)(a), (b), and (f) into the law enforcement information network.
(4) Information in the database shall only be accessed and disclosed according to an access protocol that includes the following requirements:
(a) That the requestor of the firearms records uses the law enforcement information network or another system that maintains a record of the requestor's identity, time, and date that the request was made.
(b) Requires the requestor in an intentional query by name of the firearms records to attest that the firearms records were sought under 1 of the lawful purposes provided in section 1b(2).
(5) The department of state police shall by January 1 of each year file with the secretary of the senate and the clerk of the house of representatives, and post on the department of state police's internet website, an annual report setting forth all of the following information for the state for the previous fiscal year:
(a) The number of concealed pistol applications received.
(b) The number of concealed pistol licenses issued.
(c) The number of statutorily disqualified applicants.
(d) Categories for statutory disqualification under subdivision (c).
(e) The number of concealed pistol licenses suspended or revoked.
(f) Categories for suspension or revocation under subdivision (e).
(g) The number of applications pending at the time the report is made.
(h) The mean and median amount of time and the longest and shortest amount of time used by the Federal Bureau of Investigation to supply the fingerprint comparison report required in section 5b(10). The department may use a statistically significant sample to comply with this subdivision.
(i) The total number of individuals licensed to carry a concealed pistol found responsible for a civil violation of this act, the total number of civil violations of this act categorized by offense, the total number of individuals licensed to carry a concealed pistol convicted of a crime, and the total number of those criminal convictions categorized by offense.
(j) The number of suicides by individuals licensed to carry a concealed pistol.
(k) The total amount of revenue the department of state police has received under this act.
(l) Actual costs incurred per initial and renewal license by the department of state police under this act, itemized by each statutory section of this act.
(m) A list of expenditures made by the department of state police from money received under this act, regardless of purpose.
(n) Actual costs incurred per permit for each county clerk.
(o) The number of times the database was accessed, categorized by the purpose for which the database was accessed.
History: Add. 2000, Act 381, Eff. July 1, 2001
Am. 2014, Act 204, Eff. Dec. 21, 2014
Am. 2015, Act 3, Eff. Dec. 1, 2015
Popular Name: CCW
Popular Name: Concealed Weapons
Popular Name: CPL
Popular Name: Right to Carry
Popular Name: Shall Issue
© 2020 Legislative Council, State of Michigan