NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 451 of 1994
***** 324.11502 THIS SECTION IS AMENDED EFFECTIVE SEPTEMBER 16, 2014: See 324.11502.amended *****
324.11502 Definitions; A to C.
(1) "Applicant" includes any person.
(2) "Ashes" means the residue from the burning of wood, coal, coke, refuse, wastewater sludge, or other combustible materials.
(3) "Beverage container" means an airtight metal, glass, paper, or plastic container, or a container composed of a combination of these materials, which, at the time of sale, contains 1 gallon or less of any of the following:
(a) A soft drink, soda water, carbonated natural or mineral water, or other nonalcoholic carbonated drink.
(b) A beer, ale, or other malt drink of whatever alcoholic content.
(c) A mixed wine drink or a mixed spirit drink.
(4) "Bond" means a financial instrument executed on a form approved by the department, including a surety bond from a surety company authorized to transact business in this state, a certificate of deposit, a cash bond, an irrevocable letter of credit, insurance, a trust fund, an escrow account, or a combination of any of these instruments in favor of the department. The owner or operator of a disposal area who is required to establish a bond under other state or federal statute may petition the department to allow such a bond to meet the requirements of this part. The department shall approve a bond established under other state or federal statute if the bond provides equivalent funds and access by the department as other financial instruments allowed by this subsection.
(5) "Certificate of deposit" means a negotiable certificate of deposit held by a bank or other financial institution regulated and examined by a state or federal agency, the value of which is fully insured by an agency of the United States government. A certificate of deposit used to fulfill the requirements of this part shall be in the sole name of the department with a maturity date of not less than 1 year and shall be renewed not less than 60 days before the maturity date. An applicant who uses a certificate of deposit as a bond shall receive any accrued interest on that certificate of deposit upon release of the bond by the department.
(6) "Certified health department" means a city, county, or district department of health that is specifically delegated authority by the department to perform designated activities as prescribed by this part.
(7) "Coal or wood ash" means either or both of the following:
(a) The residue remaining after the ignition of coal or wood, or both, and may include noncombustible materials, otherwise referred to as bottom ash.
(b) The airborne residues from burning coal or wood, or both, that are finely divided particles entrained in flue gases arising from a combustion chamber, otherwise referred to as fly ash.
(8) "Collection center" means a tract of land, building, unit, or appurtenance or combination thereof that is used to collect junk motor vehicles and farm implements under section 11530.
(9) "Composting facility" means a facility where composting of yard clippings or other organic materials occurs using mechanical handling techniques such as physical turning, windrowing, or aeration or using other management techniques approved by the director.
(10) "Consistency review" means evaluation of the administrative and technical components of an application for a permit or license or evaluation of operating conditions in the course of inspection, for the purpose of determining consistency with the requirements of this part, rules promulgated under this part, and approved plans and specifications.
(11) "Corrective action" means the investigation, assessment, cleanup, removal, containment, isolation, treatment, or monitoring of constituents, as defined in a facility's approved hydrogeological monitoring plan, released into the environment from a disposal area, or the taking of other actions related to the release as may be necessary to prevent, minimize, or mitigate injury to the public health, safety, or welfare, the environment, or natural resources that is consistent with 42 USC 6941 to 6949a and regulations promulgated thereunder.
History: 1994, Act 451, Eff. Mar. 30, 1995
Am. 1996, Act 359, Imd. Eff. July 1, 1996
Am. 2004, Act 35, Imd. Eff. Mar. 19, 2004
Am. 2007, Act 212, Eff. Mar. 26, 2008
Popular Name: Act 451
Popular Name: NREPA
Popular Name: Solid Waste Act
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan