MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 300 of 1949
257.904e Vehicle immobilization; manner; storage; removal; impoundment.
(1) A court shall order a vehicle immobilized under section 904d by the use of any available technology approved by the court that locks the ignition, wheels, or steering of the vehicle or otherwise prevents any person from operating the vehicle or that prevents the defendant from operating the vehicle. If a vehicle is immobilized under this section, the court may order the vehicle stored at a location and in a manner considered appropriate by the court. The court may order the person convicted of violating section 625 or a suspension, revocation, or denial under section 904 to pay the cost of immobilizing and storing the vehicle.
(2) A vehicle subject to immobilization under this section may be sold during the period of immobilization, but shall not be sold to a person who is exempt from paying a use tax under section 3(3)(a) of the use tax act, 1937 PA 94, MCL 205.93, without a court order.
(3) A defendant who is prohibited from operating a motor vehicle by vehicle immobilization shall not purchase, lease, or otherwise obtain a motor vehicle during the immobilization period.
(4) A person shall not remove, tamper with, or bypass or attempt to remove, tamper with, or bypass a device that he or she knows or has reason to know has been installed on a vehicle by court order for vehicle immobilization or operate or attempt to operate a vehicle that he or she knows or has reason to know has been ordered immobilized.
(5) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 93 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.
(6) To the extent that a local ordinance regarding the storage or removal of vehicles conflicts with an order of immobilization issued by the court, the local ordinance is preempted.
(7) If a peace officer stops a vehicle that is being operated in violation of an immobilization order, the vehicle shall be impounded pending an order of a court of competent jurisdiction.
(8) The court shall require the defendant or a person who provides immobilization services to the court under this section to certify that a vehicle ordered immobilized by the court is immobilized as required.
History: Add. 1998, Act 358, Eff. Oct. 1, 1999
Am. 1999, Act 73, Eff. Oct. 1, 1999