MICHIGAN PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION (EXCERPT)
Act 3 of 1939
460.10b Rates, terms, and conditions of new technologies; application to unbundle existing rate schedules; providing reliable and lower cost competitive rates; standby generation service; identification of retail market prices.
(1) The commission shall establish rates, terms, and conditions of electric service that promote and enhance the development of new generation, transmission, and distribution technologies.
(2) No later than 1 year from June 5, 2000, each electric utility shall file an application with the commission to unbundle its existing commercial and industrial rate schedules and separately identify and charge for their discrete services. No earlier than 1 year from June 5, 2000, the commission may order the electric utility to file an application to unbundle existing residential rate schedules. The commission may allow the unbundled rates to be expressed on residential billings in terms of percentages in order to simplify residential billing. The commission shall allow recovery by electric utilities of all just and reasonable costs incurred by electric utilities to implement and administer the provisions of this subsection.
(3) The orders issued under this act shall include, but are not limited to, the providing of reliable and lower cost competitive rates for all customers in this state.
(4) An electric utility is obligated, with commission oversight, to provide standby generation service for open access load on a best efforts basis until December 31, 2001 or the date established under section 10d(2) as it existed prior to the effective date of the amendatory act that added this sentence, whichever is later. The pricing for the electric generation standby service is equal to the retail market price of comparable standby service allowed under subsection (5). An electric utility is not required to interrupt firm off-system sales or firm service customers to provide standby generation service. Until the date established under section 10d(2) as it existed prior to the effective date of the amendatory act that added this sentence, standby generation service shall continue to be provided to nonopen access customers under regulated tariffs.
(5) The methodology for identifying the retail market price for electric generation service to be applied under this section shall be determined by the commission based upon market indices commonly relied upon in the electric generation industry, adjusted as appropriate to reflect retail market prices in the relevant market.
History: Add. 2000, Act 141, Imd. Eff. June 5, 2000
Am. 2008, Act 286, Imd. Eff. Oct. 6, 2008
Popular Name: Customer Choice and Electricity Reliability Act
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan