USE TAX ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 94 of 1937
205.95 Registration requirements; seller to collect tax from consumer; foreign corporations; dissolution or withdrawal of corporation; election of lessor on payment of taxes; registration under streamlined sales and use tax agreement.
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this subsection or subsection (5), a person subject to the tax under this act shall register with the department and give the name and address of each agent operating in this state, the location of all distribution or sales houses or offices or other places of business in this state, and any other information that the department requires relevant to the enforcement of this act. However, a seller holding a sales tax license obtained under the general sales tax act, 1933 PA 167, MCL 205.51 to 205.78, is not required to separately register with the department under this act. Every person subject to the tax under this act shall source sales in accordance with section 20 and collect the tax imposed by this act from the consumer.
(2) The corporation, securities, and land development bureau of the department of labor and economic growth shall not issue to any foreign corporation subject to the tax under this act a certificate of authority to do business in this state or approve and file the proposed articles of incorporation submitted to it by any domestic corporation authorizing or permitting that corporation to conduct any business subject to the tax under this act unless the corporation submits with the application for the certificate of authority or proposed articles of incorporation an application for registration of the corporation under this act or an application for a sales tax license under the general sales tax act, 1933 PA 167, MCL 205.51 to 205.78. The application shall be transmitted to the department by the corporation, securities, and land development bureau.
(3) A domestic corporation or a foreign corporation authorized to transact business in this state that submits a certificate of dissolution or requests a certificate of withdrawal from this state shall request a certificate from the department stating that taxes are not due under section 27a of 1941 PA 122, MCL 205.27a, not more than 60 days after submitting the certificate of dissolution or requesting the certificate of withdrawal. A corporation that does not request a certificate stating that taxes are not due is subject to the same penalties under section 24 of 1941 PA 122, MCL 205.24, that a taxpayer would be subject to for failure to file a return.
(4) A lessor may elect to pay use tax on receipts from the rental or lease of the tangible personal property in lieu of payment of sales or use tax on the full cost of the property at the time it is acquired. For tax years that begin after December 31, 2001, in order to make a valid election under this subsection, a lessor of tangible personal property that is an aircraft shall obtain a use tax registration by the earlier of the date set for the first payment of use tax under the lease or rental agreement or 90 days after the lessor first brings the aircraft into this state.
(5) A seller registered under the streamlined sales and use tax agreement who is not otherwise subject to the tax under this act is not required to register under this section because of the registration under the streamlined sales and use tax agreement.
History: 1937, Act 94, Eff. Oct. 29, 1937
CL 1948, 205.95
Am. 1949, Act 273, Eff. July 1, 1949
Am. 1959, Act 263, Eff. Sept. 1, 1959
Am. 1959, Act 272, Eff. Jan. 1, 1960
Am. 2002, Act 255, Imd. Eff. May 1, 2002
Am. 2002, Act 580, Imd. Eff. Oct. 14, 2002
Am. 2004, Act 172, Eff. Sept. 1, 2004
Am. 2007, Act 93, Eff. Dec. 1, 2007
© 2017 Legislative Council, State of Michigan