NONPROFIT CORPORATION ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 162 of 1982
450.2505 Board; number, term, and election or appointment of directors; resignation of director; number of directors on effective date of amendatory act.
(1) Except as provided in subsection (5), the board shall consist of 3 or more directors. The bylaws shall fix the number of directors or establish the manner for fixing the number, unless the articles of incorporation fix the number.
(2) The articles of incorporation or a bylaw adopted by the shareholders, members, or incorporators of a corporation organized on a stock or membership basis may specify the term of office and the manner of election or appointment of directors. If the articles of incorporation or bylaws do not so specify the term of office or manner of election or appointment of directors, the first board of directors shall hold office until the first annual meeting of shareholders or members. At the first annual meeting of shareholders or members and at each subsequent annual meeting the shareholders or members shall elect directors to hold office until the succeeding annual meeting, except in case of the classification of directors permitted under this act.
(3) The articles of incorporation or a bylaw of a corporation organized on a directorship basis shall specify the term of office and the manner of election or appointment of directors.
(4) A director shall hold office for the term for which he or she is elected or appointed and until his or her successor is elected or appointed and qualified, or until his or her resignation or removal. A director may resign by written notice to the corporation. A resignation of a director is effective when it is received by the corporation or a later time if set forth in the notice of resignation.
(5) Beginning 180 days after the effective date of the amendatory act that added this subsection, the board of a corporation that is in existence on the effective date of the amendatory act that added this subsection shall consist of 3 or more directors.
History: 1982, Act 162, Eff. Jan. 1, 1983
Am. 2008, Act 222, Imd. Eff. July 16, 2008
© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan